Today’s featured image is from App Ski Mountain.
It is the first day of winter as the winter solstice will take place at 10:58a. Colder air remains in place this morning and that has allowed snowmaking to continue as resorts take advantage of the cold to prepare for the holiday week.
The mountain operation crews have been hard at it since Saturday night, and the results are pretty impressive as the slopes have gotten a much-needed refresher after Saturday’s rain.
There will be a break today, but it looks like we have a few more snowmaking windows over the next couple of days (#ThinkCold).
Maybe Ma Nature is waiting for today to flip the pattern switch for us.
It is a busy time on the slopes including Opening Day Part Two at Massanutten as the resort will drop the rope for the second time this season.
Massanutten will have Paul’s Way, Southern Comfort, and Diamond Jim open today and will be working to expand terrain this week as temperatures allow.
Night skiing will begin on Thursday night.
The ‘Nut is the 10th resort open this morning. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of others join the fray later this week as Christmas is fast approaching.
For the complete conditions report, be sure to visit the Snow Reports page, but here are a couple of notable items from around the area.
- Be sure you #ThankASnowmaker this week. The bases at the resorts have been solidified after last week’s mild stretch and the Saturday rain.
- App Ski, Beech, Cataloochee, Snowshoe’s Silver Creek, Sugar Mountain, and Winterplace are currently offering night skiing.
- App Ski Mountain has three features set up in Appal Jam Terrain Park (which now requires a park pass). Beech has several features available on Upper and Lower Powder Bowl for you to play on.
- Progression Park is also available at Snowshoe.
- Tubing is open at a few resorts, but I recommend checking (in advance if possible) your intended destination to check the status.
We are awaiting updates from a couple of resorts – Wintergreen and Canaan Valley in particular – on when they will resume operations, and it could come within the next day or two.
That does it for today, but until next time, #ThinkSnow!
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]