Monday is going to bring us a little bit of bit of rain to kickstart the week.
After a milder and dryer Sunday, we are going to see some rain to go along with some mildish temperatures as inch closer to the start of March.
It isn’t going to be a complete washout, but we will see some showers this afternoon.
There will be nine resorts open for play today with some spring conditions. With some of the feedback we have been hearing, conditions, however, are still a lot of fun.
Here is a quick glance at the resorts that are open for play as we kick off the week.
For the full conditions, be sure to visit the Snow Reports page.
App Ski Mountain – App is playing on 12 trails today with six lifts spinning. They are riding on a 38-48″ groomed surface with night skiing available.
Beech Mountain – Beech is reporting a 24-44″ base with a groomed surface. They are also featuring 12 trails today with four lifts spinning.
Bryce Resort – The Virginia resort is playing on five trails with four lifts in operation. They have concluded night skiing for the season.
Canaan Valley – Canaan is skiing on a 24-36″ base with variable conditions. They have 23 trails serviced by three lifts to start the week.
Cataloochee – The Maggie Valley ski area is reporting eight trails and five lifts available for play today. They are riding on a groomed surface with a 25-35″ base.
Massanutten – The ‘Nut is playing on an 18″ base with a groomed surface, and they are offering eight trails and four lifts today.
Snowshoe Mountain – The ‘Shoe has 184 acres available for fun as they are playing on 39 trails with five lifts. They are reporting a 38″ base with variable conditions. Spruce is closed this week for preparations for this weekend’s Berming Man and Turning Man event.
Sugar Mountain – Sugar is riding on an 18-58″ base with a loose and frozen granular surface. The Banner Elk resort is holding steady with five lifts spinning for 15 lifts.
Timberline Mountain – Timberline is riding on 18 trails with four lifts in operation for today. They are playing on a groomed surface (there are a few trails ungroomed) atop a 10-48″ base.
Wisp Resort – The Maryland resort is playing on groomed and variable conditions on a 12″ base for today. They are offering 14 trails and eight lifts for use on Monday.
Of note, we are seeing some thin and narrow spots across the area so be sure to pay attention to safety signage.
A few additional notes from around the area – including some operational updates for this upcoming week.
- Wisp is hosting the Special Olympics Maryland Winter Games Monday and Tuesday after nearly a decade. You can view the tentative schedule for this awesome event at wispresort.com/events. If you are around, please drop by to cheer on the participants.
- With the warm temperatures forecasted, Timberline Mountain will suspend operations on Tuesday 2/28-Thursday 3/2 to preserve the snow base for the upcoming weekend and beyond as they look to maximize skiing and snowboarding days in March. Timberline will reopen on Friday 3/3.
- After Saturday’s session, Snowshoe has closed Silver Creek and the Coca-Cola Tubing Park for the season. The team at 4848′ are fully intending to keep the Basin and Western Territory open for as long as possible.
- Massanutten is also set to suspend operations Wednesday-Friday (March 1-3) in anticipation of reopening on Saturday and Sunday. We will keep you updated on those changes.
- Today’s featured image is from App Ski Mountain – I love their Sunrise Sunday series on social media.
A lot of moving parts around the region for sure. To be sure you get the latest, be sure to follow us over on Facebook at facebook.com/skisoutheast.
March’s weather is starting to look intriguing so stay tuned as winter might not be quite over. We will be looking that a little more indepth as the week moves on.
That does it for today, but until next time, #ThinkSnow!
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]