Today’s featured image is from App Ski Mountain.
Goodness, it is cold outside this morning.
It is one of the coldest mornings of the season, and it isn’t going to get much warmer today – no matter where you are at.
A quick look at temperatures will make you feel cold even if you are sitting inside.
Canaan Valley and Timberline checked in at a balmy 0° this morning, with Snowshoe reporting a 2° temperature. Wisp was right behind with a reading of 3°.
It is cold across the entire region as 14-of-the-16 resorts are setting at 20° or below with Cataloochee (23°) and Sapphire Valley (28°) being the two outliers.
Temperatures won’t get much warmer today and will be just as cold tonight if not colder tonight.
That will allow for some around-the-clock snowmaking opportunities if the resorts so choose to set up a pretty incredible weekend – especially after all the snow this week.
Speaking of snow, we did see some light snow late yesterday and overnight. It was wild to look out the window and see a pretty heavy burst of snow that was unexpected.
A Word from Our Sponsors
Meadowbrook Inn is a tranquil mountain retreat located in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains in scenic Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Situated one block from the upscale shops, restaurants, and galleries on Blowing Rock's Main Street, they offers a relaxing mountain escape in the midst of some of the High Country's most popular attractions.
Meadowbrook Inn is the perfect destination when traveling along the Blue Ridge Parkway, exploring North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, visiting Appalachian State University and the Boone area, or visiting the abundance of area attractions. Visit the website today for services, amenities and seasonal events.Learn More
Winterplace picked up 2″ of natural snow, while Canaan Valley and Timberline received around an inch and a half.
Sugar and Beech Mountain also received some light snow accumulation.
Pretty sweet stuff.
For the full listing of conditions, be sure to visit the Snow Reports page, but here are a couple of notable items as we head into the weekend.
- Snowshoe has reached skier capacity for Saturday on the basin side. Silver Creek Only tickets are available, and season passholders will continue to have direct access.
- It is looking to be a busy weekend at all resorts, so I highly recommend checking in with your destination to see if you can purchase tickets and rentals in advance.
- Ski Sapphire Valley is dropping the rope on their season today at noon. It is great to finally see them catch a break from Ma Nature.
- Our buddy Bill Nabers checked in from Bryce late Thursday night. He said that despite being cold and wet Thursday was a very enjoyable day on the snow.
- Be on the lookout for some terrain openings from Canaan Valley (B Slope and Timber Run) and Snowshoe. It wouldn’t surprise me if we see a couple of other resorts add to their offerings with this awesome cold snap.
- With the cold and wind chills, be sure to dress appropriately, leave no skin exposed and take plenty of breaks. It is going to be a cold day out there.
The forecast for the weekend is looking fantastic, and things are really shaping up for a great weekend on the snow.
That does it for today, but until next time, #ThinkSnow!
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]