The weekend is almost here, and so is some cooler weather.
After a couple of days of just unseasonably warm temps, we are back closer to normal today and will see more winter-like temperatures on Saturday.
One resort has been able to take advantage of the temperature drop as Snowshoe has cranked up snowmaking operations this morning.
So far, it looks like the ‘Shoe is the only one, but I expect plenty more to make snow overnight for a weekend refresh.
For the full conditions list, be sure to visit the Snow Reports page.
As a result of the temperatures and to conserve bases, we are seeing some operational changes today and for tonight. A few of those include:
- Wisp Resort has announced that night skiing for tonight (February 24) has been suspended. This will allow the mountain ops teams additional time to push, move, and groom snow. The resort also plans to make snow as the weather permits tonight.
- Massanutten has closed snow tubing for today (February 24), but will reopen on Saturday and Sunday with one change – tubing will be offered as 2 or 4 ride tickets and not as sessions. If weather permits, Massanutten will also make snow on the ski and snowboard side of things.
- At Wintergreen, the Big Acorn lift and the slopes services are still unavailable for today. The plan is to reopen the lift and trail tomorrow and will make snow overnight as weather permits.
- Ski Sapphire Valley announced late on Thursday that they will not reopen this weekend, and that their 2022-23 ski season has concluded.
- We are seeing some resorts with limited trails open today – that is to allow the conservation of snow.
- I do expect several resorts to crank up snowmaking tonight – if the weather permits.
- Today’s featured image is from Timberline Mountain – what a cool shot of the moon hanging out with Jupiter and Venus in the sky.
That does it for today, but until next time, #ThinkSnow!
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected].