Usually the day after the superbowl is kind of a ‘mellow’ day at the ski resorts. Not for some . . . The annual Cupp Run Challenge is the least bit mellow, as we will see some of the fastest speeds of the year get laid down, in the southeast.
WV is ‘stoked’ from a fantastic weekend
- Canaan Valley: “After 9.4” of powder on Friday, we hosted a Saturday and Sunday that delivered the best conditions of the season.
- Terrain . . . “Our bases on Ramble and Timber Trail are deep and solid, and we are now featuring terrain in Meadows 1. We have also kept whales on Valley Vista that were delivering some unique and just flat out fun lines yesterday”.
- “Today is Food Bank Monday. Bring a non-perishable item for the Tucker County food pantry and receive a $20 lift ticket for the day”.
- Snowshoe: “Pleasant temperatures and soft snow should make for a great day to be on the mountain.”
- Good luck to all the racers today! . . . “The Cupp Run Challenge is today! Registration is full at this time. Cupp Run will be closed to the public.”
- Park update . . . “Mountaineer parks are working hard this week on a fresh build in Evolution.”
- Winterplace: 92.5% open terrain (25 of 27 runs).
- Turkey Chute (difficult) and Almost Heaven (Beginner – Terrain Based Learning) are the only closed runs at the resort
- Forecast: “Mostly sunny throughout the day. It should be a great day to be on the slopes.”
- Timberline: 13 runs open . . . Here’s the breakdown:
- 10 Beginner Runs
- 2 Intermediate Runs – Upper Dew Drop, Lower Almost Heaven
- 0 Difficult Runs
- 1 Expert Run – Off the Wall
Ober declares, ‘6 more weeks of winter’!
- Ober: Gotta love this quote from Ober over the weekend . . . “Even though Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow and predicts an early spring… he is only right 40% of the time!”
- Today . . . “Open from Noon – 10pm with a 25-45″ base. Slopes are all groomed except for Mogul. The Terrain Park has a big roller set up with a few features, definitely fun! We have switched over to our warm weather snowmaking again based on the temps in the forecast.
VA almost feels like spring, but with LOTS of snow . . .
- Bryce: 100% open
- Latest FB post from Bryce . . .
- Massanutten: “Another sunscreen kind of day with highs in the mid 50s. Monday Night Madness tonight, $20 Slope – Use, $20 equipment rental and Free Beginner lesson starting at 3:45pm. We’ll be open 9:00 am – 9:00 pm for skiing and riding and 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm for snow tubing.”
- CMB and Pacesetter parks are open
- Homestead: 100% open with a ‘comfortable’ 46 degrees in Hot Springs, VA.
- Wintergreen: “The sun is already out and it’s going to shine all day. Temps have warmed up – almost spring-like but with tons of snow on the slopes. All of our terrain is open.”
Wisp is going to be ‘prime’ today!
- Wisp: Open on 31 runs (26 are groomed)
- Central Park (Large Features) has added more . . . ” (14 Features) Up Rail to Table, Hand Rail, Double Elbow to Down Tube, Down Flat Tube, Booter Tube, 2-Jumps, Pole Jam to Propane Tank, Mini Pad, Big Propane Tank, Down Tube, Bonk, Battleship, Quarter pipe with Fuel Tank”
- Beaver Park (Medium Features) is “opening soon”
- Lower Boulder Park (Small Features) is open with limited features
- Nordic Center is OPEN from 10am-4pm with a Natural Snow Base
NC is going to see warm temps (mid-week), but with ‘white’ toward the weekend
- Wolf: “According to Punxsutawney Phil we’re in for an early spring but children of winter resist! We still have 6 more weeks of superb riding conditions so what are you waiting?”
- Cataloochee: “Even with the warmer temps this week, if you take a look at our webcams here you know what great conditions are in store!”
- Sapphire: Forecast: “Mostly sunny, with a high near 59. West southwest wind 3 to 7 mph.”
- Beech: Forecast: “Sunny, with a high near 50. Southwest wind around 7 mph.”
- App: latest FB post . . .
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]