I think there is this perception that after Presidents Day Weekend, things start to go flat. Had the weather not crushed most of NC/TN this week, the argument could be made that that’s just not the case. In fact, when you look at trail closures, resorts are more likely to close (a few) runs BEFORE a big holiday weekend, to get them ‘spruced-up’, and ready for the heavy user traffic.
The states VA, WV, and MD are all looking good from a nice mid-week bump in natural snowfall. Those states had zero trail closures (with T-Line being the outlier) and in some cases (Wisp) adding more healthy features, i.e. terrain parks.
NC/TN are not far behind, and with snow making potential this upcoming Sunday and Monday night . . . the outlook is on the up-and-up!
Lets start with the (Temporarily) Closed, so you can plan accordingly
- Timberline: “Closed for Weekend Feb. 22 – Feb. 24, 2019. Mountain will be reevaluated Monday, Feb. 25th.”
- Wolf Ridge: “We will be closed again today Thursday 2/21/19 and tomorrow Friday 2/22/19. We’re looking forward to reopening the slopes Saturday and Sunday!”
WV . . . always a good time
- Canaan: Trail News . . . “Gravity is re-open and will be available all weekend. Our terrain features remain on Valley Vista, and Timber and Ramble both have strong bases available”
- Next shot at snow making . . . “Our snow making window for next week looks very strong, and we plan to make snow throughout the week to prepare for a great March.”
- Snowshoe: “Yesterday conditions were a lot of fun and we expect today to be great as well with some soft turns and forgiving conditions in case you have a couple wipe-outs. These conditions are great for beginners or experts.”
- Groomed on 54 (of 60) runs. Snowmaking on (1) Powderidge
- *Don’t miss out on the Ski Southeast Summit @ Snowshoe March 1st-3rd*
- Winterplace: Forecast: Cloudy with off an on showers. Dress in layers to be prepared for the weather.
- Still open on 25 runs, along with 5 lifts.
Wisp: amped after a big week of snowfall
- Wisp: 29 runs open
- Delayed opening on (expert) ‘The Face’ today
- Parks Galore . . .
Terrain Parks Open Type Features Central Park (13 – Features) Beaver Park (3 – Features) 3 Jumps Lower Boulder Park (6 – Features) Bench, Table, 4 Birms
Put on your duck boots in NC today
- Beech: Kicks off their fun Retro Ski Weekend
All day – Retro Skiing (wear ’80s apparel) @ Beech Mountain Ski Resort
3:45 p.m. – 80’s Ski Apparel Parade (Meet at the top of the slopes) @ Beech Mountain Ski Resort
4 p.m.- 12 a.m. – Ghostbusters, ECTO-1 and DeLorean cars @ The Famous Brick Oven Pizzeria – Beech Mountain, NC
5 p.m. – 7 p.m. – Family Fun Night @ The Famous Brick Oven Pizzeria – Beech Mountain, NC
5 p.m. – 9 p.m. – Galaga contest continues @ Beech Alpen Inn
6:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. – Youth Cosmic Sledding on Sledding Hill @ Town Sledding Hill
9 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. – ’80s Prom with Live Music from DECARLO @ Mile High Tavern ($5 Cover)
10 p.m. – Prom King and Queen Contest @ Mile High Tavern
- Are you guys open? . . . “Yes, we are open and skiing and riding, in the rain, in the sunshine, when it’s warm, when it’s snowing. That seems to be the question on everyone’s mind. The ski area and Tube World operate in all kinds of weather, with the only exception being thunder and lightening. So even if the forecast says rain, we will be here and skiing and riding and having a great time, no matter the weather.”
- Today we are on a base of 54-88″ on 13 slopes (the Upper Snowbird Trail and Lower Over Easy are not open)
- No price increase for 2019-2020 . . . “Don’t forget our big Season Pass Sale is Sunday, March 3 (or maybe a little earlier) and season passes will be at their lowest rate for this season and next at that time and there was no increase in pricing for the 2019-20 season.”
- App: 100% open, groomed base
- Only 1 more date after tonight . . . App State Ride Night
- Sapphire: Open at Noon Today Weather Permitting! . . . Call ahead: 828-743-7663
- Sapphire offers Skiing/Riding, Frozen Falls Tubing, and the Vordach Winter Zipline.
VA: “Don’t let the rain icon on your phone fool you”
- Massanutten: “Cloudy with high temps around 40, the weather service is calling for .01″ of rain so don’t let the rain icon on your phone fool you.”
- 100% open for day and night skiing.
- College Days Special today- $40 Slope-Use with valid ID.
- Wintergreen: “We are dealing with a little wet weather today but the precipitation totals aren’t that bad so just make sure you bring an extra layer.
- We have all 25 trails open and will be skiing until 9pm.”
- Homestead: Offers onsite ski/board rentals from 8:30am-5pm today.
- 26″ groomed, wet granular base
- 8 runs still open
- 2 lifts running
- Bryce: 100% open from 9am-8:30pm
- For a little something different this weekend . . .
Ober trims down . . . hopes to re-open more terrain tomorrow
- Ober: “Slopes open today at 9am today and we will open Castle, Cub Way and Ski School only. We will most likely reopen Mogul and Upper Bear tomorrow after we push snow overnight to accommodate skiers at the Midway point of the Black Lift. The base is 15-20″ on our main slopes and the terrain park moved to the Skiers Right of Castle Run.”
- On Sale Today . . . SEASON PASS SALE starts FRIDAY! If you purchase your season pass This weekend, you can use it for the rest of the season (…. and we will most likely be open for next weekend)!!
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]