Yesterday, I made it to Wolf for a rare mid-week ski day. I added a little twist though and ‘skinned’ up to the top . . . twice. Most of us in the Asheville area really appreciate Wolf for its tolerance in allowing us ‘pain-determined’ souls to forego the lift. If I’m feeling great (and yesterday I was) it takes about 25min to ascend to the top. It may not be the fastest way up the 700 foot vertical mountain, but 50+ min on the never-ending stairway to heaven isn’t so bad.
When I got to the top on the second lap, I met a snowboarder who was just getting off the lift. He looked a little perplexed as he watched me peel off the skins and asked, “is there a backside to this mountain”? I had a small grin on my face and wanted to say yes, but couldn’t bring myself to say it. We went down the run, and he showed me how he just learned a backflip, the other day, on a home-made jump at Wolf . . . Ya just gotta love snowsports in the southeast!
WV is experiencing a traditional day . . . snow in the extended forecast
- Snowshoe Mountain: “Today is going to be a transitional day from a weather standpoint. Temperatures top out in the 40’s with a bit of undeveloped snow that is forecasted to pick up in the afternoon.”
- A new look . . . “The Mountaineer Park Crew is hard at work giving Timberjack a fresh new build!”
- Timberline: “OUR SLOPES WILL REOPEN Wednesday, January 23- MORE SLOPES OPENING THIS WEEK!”
- Lift update . . . “Thunderdraft Triple Lift—An experienced work crew from the Manufacturer of the lift will be onsite today to install new parts. This should be a 1 to 2 day fix and the lift will be back in operation by Friday.”
- Canaan Valley: Extended forecast . . . Light Snow (Thurs-Sunday)
- Deal of the Day: West Virginia Wednesdays
- XC Skiing report . . . “Our cross country skiing center is open with some trail access and golf course skiing.” Snow conditions are Hard Pack
VA is putting on the finishing touches . . . Mother Nature should help soon
- Lift update . . . “The new motor for Acorn lift arrived around midnight and the crew has been working all night. There are lots of pieces to the puzzle and they’re using all their skills and creativity to complete this project and get the lift running.”
- More trail openings right around the corner . . . “Temperatures rose during the night and snowmaking will take a short break. After the next two days there’s a long stretch of great snowmaking weather mixed with some snow from Mother Nature.
- Massanutten: Forecast . . . Mostly cloudy with some rain moving in later tonight, highs will be in the lower 40s.
- More intermediate runs . . . “Kudos to Mt Ops for getting Paradice and Lower Mak open yesterday.”
- Putting the finishing touches on this weekend . . . “The slopes are skiing great and we should be 100% open for the weekend.”
- Bryce: 100% open. 9am-8:30pm
NC is experiencing some freezing rain . . . might as well take a look at some mid-week offerings
- Wolf Ridge:
- Women’s Wednesday . . . “All you wild, wonderful women out there come join us today at The Wolf for 1/2 off lift tickets.”
- Some schools are out because of the road conditions . . . “It’s also a Snow Day for just a few teachers and students during our Day Session 9am – 4:30pm receive $15 lift tickets, $7 ski and $15 snowboard rentals and $10 beginner group lessons (ages 8 and up). Be safe out on the road out there…call 511 or drivenc.gov for the latest on road conditions.”
- Cataloochee: 100% open runs and lifts
- Terrain park update . . . “Although the terrain for Cat Cage Terrain Park is open, we are working on getting rails and features in after this past snowmaking session.”
- Wednesdays are Family Days and a child 17 and under receives a free lift ticket when accompanied by a parent purchasing a full price adult day, twilight or night lift ticket.
- Beech Mountain: 10 runs open (no Crossway today)
- A neat program going on at Beech this week . . . Adaptive Ski Week
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: 100% open runs and lifts
- If you were on the fence about getting a season membership . . . 20% off
Wisp: Light snow in the forecast (Thursday through Sunday)
- Wisp: 28 of 37 runs open (over 75%). 9 of 11 lifts open.
- Nordic Center open from 10am-4pm on a natural snow base
Ober is in ‘peak season’
- Ober: 8 of 10 runs open (80% open)
- Still raining but no as bad as expected . . . “The forecast for rain has steadily decreased over the past couple days from 100% now to only 60%!”
- “Events this week: Friday 1/25, OBER ROCKS! Slopes open to midnight, Sierra Nevada presents Josiah and the Greater Good in the Loft Lounge, Hot Wing Eating Contest, OGFT High Ollie Contest! There will be so much going on!”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]