It’s certainly not coming ‘in like a lamb’, as we turn the page to March. Overnight, the forecast held correct as Wisp and Canaan saw 3″, respectively. Wisp is reporting a PACKED POWDER / Groomed base, which is definitely good conditions. Even Oglebay saw 2″ as they often CAN BE in the snow belt (i.e. close to the Great Lakes and a FAIRLY northern lattitude) . . . Snowshoe saw a dusting. As for Virginia, Bryce got 1″ and the others saw a light dusting.
Points south (NC/TN) have had the moisture (almost too much moisture) and are expecting the cold front to hit at the tail-end of this weekend, and into next week.
Even though the snowfall may not be plentiful this season, the storms are hitting at the right time . . . for the weekend rush!
*Canaan Valley State Park is reporting 3″, while Canaan Mountain Snow Fall is reporting 1.8″. It’s probably some where in between, as seen on ResortCams . . . variations do occur*
WV saw a Trace up to ~ 3″ . . . more to come this weekend!
- Canaan: “A quick hitting storm zipped through last night and dropped a fresh 3 inches of powder across Canaan Valley.”
- Snow making update . . . “On top of the natural snowfall we received last night, we also made snow throughout the night and continue to do so this morning.”
- Upcoming . . . “The extended forecast looks very interesting, Weather Underground is forecasting 5 to 8 inches of snow and a wintry mix on Sunday night into Monday. Additionally, bitter cold temps will be arriving for next week.”
Oglebay: 2″ overnight!
- 10″ Groomed Base
- Open from 4pm-9pm on Fridays
- Snowshoe: Trace
- “We got a light dusting of snow last night and the temperature’s will stay in the mid 30’s today.
- Bring an extra layer, or two . . . “There is a chance of wet weather in the afternoon so be sure you have the proper waterproof gear.”
- SkiSoutheast Summit Forecast! . . . A little bit of everything this weekend
- Winterplace: Snow Making overnight. 21 trails open today
- Forecast: Mostly cloudy with a chance of a shower. Dress in layers to be prepared for the weather.
- Snow Drift Lounge opens at 11am today . . . “Action skiing videos, popular tunes, and your favorite beverages make The Snowdrift Lounge the place to be when the sun goes down! Open 11am to closing. Monday and Thursday Nights – SPECIALS on food and beverages!”
Wisp got clobbered with snow, overnight
- Wisp: PACKED POWDER / Groomed conditions
- “In like a lion . . . The saying about March held true this year as 3″ of snow was delivered on the mountain overnight.”
- Upcoming Snow making . . . “The Snowmaking Team is prepping to fire up on Sunday night which indicates that we are dedicated to making March count!”
- Military March . . . “Wisp Resort is honoring our Nation’s heroes in March by offering up to 25% savings on lift tickets, rentals, lessons, snow tubing and mountain coaster.”
VA got a fresh dusting to 1″, overnight
- Massanutten: “A trace of something white fell overnight.”
- Wintergreen: “True to form, March is coming in like a lion.”
- Today . . . It’s going to be damp today, but don’t let it dampen your spirits.
- This weekend . . . “The sun will shine on Saturday and lots of cold weather is in the forecast for next week.”
- Bryce: Thanks to our trusty patroller at Bryce . . . “Bryce got 1″ overnight. All slopes open. Hangover & Locher Bowl not groomed. All others groomed after snowfall. Terrain park is closed for the season and dismantled.”
- Tubing at 6pm on Fridays.
- (Easy) Red Eye will be closed for part of the day tomorrow . . .
- Homestead: Check snow report for details
NC has the moisture, but not the cold air . . . yet
- Cataloochee: “A large cold front is on the horizon starting Sunday with some natural snow as well and we are ready to begin snowmaking again as soon as it arrives!”
- Today is Military Appreciation Day . . . we are on a groomed base of 50-84″ on 13 slopes and offer three sessions
- A money saving tactic . . . “You can also upgrade your purchased lift ticket for the day to a season pass if you decide after skiing or riding with us, we will take the price of your day’s lift ticket off the cost of a pass.”
- Beech posted the following on FaceBook . . . “We currently have an average base of 36″-68″. Rain, of course, can make the snow a bit slushy. We are looking at snowmaking conditions to return tonight and there is natural snowfall in the weather report for Sunday-Monday!”
- Also . . . “Our closing date is set as (Saturday) 3/23/2019”
- App: Terrain Park updates . . . Features include small jump, juice box and roller.
- Sapphire: Last weekend they are open for the season . . . opens at Noon today
- Wolf Ridge: Closed for the season (as per yesterday) . . . “It’s with much sadness that we announce that our 2018-2019 ski season has come to a close. We have lost too much snow and will not be able to reopen as we had hoped. We appreciate all of you who helped make this a great season. We’re already looking forward to next winter and seeing all of our friends back on the slopes!”
Ober re-opens Mogul Ridge!
- Ober: Open from 9am-10pm . . . “Today we will have 5 runs open: Mogul Ridge, Upper Bear, Castle, Cub Way and Ski School, open at Noon today! The base is 15-25″ on our main slopes and the terrain park is located on the Skiers Right of Castle Run. Snow conditions: Machine Groomed Granular.”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]