We are falling back into February today.
It is on the mild side this morning as the rain subsides, but the temperatures have started taking a nose dive this morning.
By mid to late afternoon, we will see some snow showers and snowmaking resuming to set the stage for a fantastic President Day’s weekend.
This morning, however, is soggy.
Every resort received pretty heavy rain in the past 24 hours – with most of it falling overnight.
Ober Mountain, Cataloochee, Ski Sapphire, Snowshoe, Omni Homestead, and Winterplace all surpassed 2″ of rain in the past 24 hours. With the exception of Winterplace (0.9″) and Wisp (0.8″), every other resort surpassed an inch of rain.
That is a lot of water.
Due to the rain, Omni Homestead has suspended operations for today but hopes to crank things back up tomorrow.
Ski Sapphire Valley has also announced they will be closed today due to excessive rain and warm weather. They are hoping to resume snowmaking operations later today, and reopen on Saturday. The Outhouse Races are still on.
Of note – Winterplace is back at it today after suspending operations on Thursday due to lightning in the forecast.
We will see wet snow (obviously), but the mountain op crews have worked their magic to still give us playful conditions today.
For the full conditions breakdown, be sure to visit the Snow Reports page.
As the temperatures fall, we expect snowmaking to resume as soon as possible and continue overnight and into tomorrow.
That refresh – along with the natural snow which may add up to an inch or so – will help us have a pretty fantastic holiday weekend.
Here are a few notes as we head into the weekend.
- Due to the temperatures plummeting, we could see some icing that could impact high-speed lift operations at locations like Snowshoe.
- We are seeing some thin spots at some resorts this morning due to the rain, so ski and ride with caution.
- As mentioned, we will see snowmaking resume as soon as possible so dress accordingly. We know the mountain operation crews are itching to hit the button and get things going full blast.
- It is a holiday weekend so be sure to purchase tickets in advance where possible.
- Today’s featured image is from App Ski Mountain.
The weekend is looking pretty solid with some sunshine.
Here is a check-in with the resorts to see what is going on in social media.
That does it for today, but until next time, #ThinkSnow!
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected].