We have a beautiful start to the holiday week on tap.
I hope you had a great Christmas and enjoyed the cold but beautiful weather.
Monday is looking pretty fantastic with temperatures not quite as cold as they have been the last few days.
That trend continues for a couple of more days to really set the stage for a busy but great holiday week. Brad shared his latest skier’s forecast overnight with a look for this week and the New Year’s Weekend.
While we would love to have more natural snow, the cold works just as well.
If you are in the mountains for your getaway or heading up in the next couple of days, you are in for a treat on the slopes.
The Mountain Op crews have continued to outdo themselves and have really worked their magic in the brutal cold the last few days.
Slope conditions are some of the best so far this season, and new terrain is being added to the mix at several resorts.
The early morning turns are going to be incredible over the next couple of days.
Pretty sweet start to the week.
For the full report, be sure to visit the Snow Reports page.
Here are a few notables from around the area.
- After most resorts had limited hours on Christmas Day, nearly every resort will start their holiday period hours today.
- I thought it was cool to see Massanutten get to drop the rope on the brand-new Muellers Mile run for Christmas Day. The blue trail looks like it will be a fun ride.
- Cataloochee is requiring hats and gloves this morning for the lifts. As the temperatures warm up, that restriction may be loosened.
- It is the opening day for Ski Sapphire Valley. The Cashiers, NC resort is expected to drop the rope this morning on skiing and snowboarding as well as tubing.
- The Omni Homestead hasn’t announced an official opening day, but I expect it in the next couple of days.
- After the last few days when a number of resorts were forced to alter their schedule or in some cases suspend operations, it is great to see everyone back to normal (with holiday hours as mentioned earlier).
- With that said, you may see a couple of delayed lift openings this morning due to the cold. However, it shouldn’t be anything too crazy.
It is the busiest time of the year for the resorts, so it is great to see the week off to a great start.
Sunday was Christmas Day, but that didn’t stop the resorts from posting some great content on social media.
Here is a look at some of the best from the Holiday Weekend.
Santa was a fan favorite at App Ski Mountain this week.
Beech Mountain showed up the awesome vibe of the village and it is Santa-approved.
Bryce showed off Santa getting some product testing in at the Virginia resort. He gave it two thumbs up for those curious.
If you don’t follow Bryce Resort, they post a ton of great behind-the-scenes content that is worth a follow.
Canaan Valley teased more trails opening up soon – just in time for the holiday week.
Cataloochee was showing off the views on Sunday to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
Massanutten shared their Christmas present with everyone with pictures from Muller’s Mile (which also happens to be the featured photo of the day).
Omni Homestead showcased its Christmas decorations in a video Christmas card of sorts. Such a beautiful place.
If you are wondering, they put out 735 poinsettias this year.
Winterplace was showing some incredible images of snowmaking on Christmas eve. That is a lot of snow being put down.
Such a cool shot to cap off the Christmas cheer from Wisp.
That does it for today, but until next time, #ThinkSnow!
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]