This weekend was a true southeast ski weekend, weather-wise. This includes sunshine, rain, fog, wintry mix, etc. . . sometimes all at the same time. I always wonder what a transplant from somewhere in Sunny Southern California thinks of when they move to the southeast. What’s the saying by Mark Twain . . . “if you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes”.
I got out to Wolf Ridge on Saturday. Meet up with my buddy George who is an all-around good guy, and works at Wolf. A jack-of-all trades who teaches skiing, and is always the first to jump in and help “a man down” on the slopes . . . thanks for all you do at Wolf, George!
Sunday, I took some runs with my bud Lecky Haller at Cataloochee. Lecky is the coach of the ski team at The Asheville School and a 2-time Whitewater Olympian in the C2. We ripped it up on the slopes just before it started to rain . . . and it was good! Thanks for the runs . . . and thanks for coaching/mentoring those future ski olympians!
This work week looks like a mixed bag of weather as some nights look ‘iffy’ for snowmaking. The day time highs will be a little warmer than average, but not bad.
Get some mid-week runs in before the crowds arrive this weekend!
WV is going to get some snow this week . . . The question is how much?
- Canaan Valley: 1.1″ overnight. David Lesher mentions, “Light snow changed to rain overnight as temperatures crept above freezing”.
- On natural snow this week . . . “The forecast appears to have several chances for snow throughout the week, with WEDNESDAY and SATURDAY looking to be our best opportunities for the white stuff.”
- On snowmaking potential . . . “There will also be multiple snowmaking windows throughotu the week, and we will take every opportunity available to prepare for the upcoming weekend.”
- The epic saga continues . . .
- Weather-wise . . . “Some lingering rain showers are possible this morning, but once those move out it’s going to be a fairly nice day on the mountain.”
- Groomed 51 out of 60 runs. Glades can’t be groomed, so really they groomed a remarkable 51 of 56 . . . “Hats off to our team of groomers and snowmakers for working their magic and getting the mountain in fantastic shape for us today.”
- Widowmaker (advanced) has a delayed opening today.
- Forecast: Cloudy with off an on showers. Dress in layers so you are comfortable and it should be a great day to be on the slopes.
- 25 (of 27) runs and 6 lifts open on a 30-54″ Granular, loose granular and variable base.
- Good proportion! . . . 25/6 = 4.16 runs per lift.
- Timberline: not reporting . . . Here were their stats from yesterday:
- 8 runs and 1 lift open on a 14-48″ groomed base.
- 1.1″ new snowfall overnight. High of 41F today
NC is going to be a bit moisture-laden this week.
- App: 100% open.
- New Terrain Park update . . . “All terrain parks are open with a variety of features. Features include waterfall rail, c-box, DFD (down-flat-down) rail, flat rail, flat box, flat-down pills and small jumps.”
- Great proportion! . . . 12(runs)/6(lifts) = 2 runs per lift
- Announced their upcoming Retro 80’s Ski Weekend . . . Always a hoot!
- 13 runs on a 36-70″ PACKED POWDER / GROOMED base.
- Cataloochee: “Start your week off right . . . don’t let the drizzle keep you away!”
- “We have plenty of snow and are open on all 18 slopes with a base of 71-105″ and a groomed surface”.
- Wolf: 10 runs and 3 lifts on a 49″ loose granular base.
- I was there on Saturday, and there WERE a couple of terrain park features at the bottom of (intermediate) Lower Streak. Those included a box, corrugated pvc, and a corrugated pvc with a bonk.
- Sapphire Valley:
- Open on 2 runs with 3 lifts on a 26-67″ groomed base.
- Best proportion! . . . No lift lines ever with 3 lifts and 2 runs!
VA saw some “trace” last night . . . gearing up for the big weekend ahead
- Massanutten: 100% Open.
- “Trace of new snow and sleet overnight, mixed precip this morning. Highs today in the mid 30s.”
- Rebuilding the terrain park . . . “Pacesetter will be delayed opening today.” CMB still open
- “Monday Night Madness tonight – $20 Slope-Use, $20 equipment rental and a FREE beginner lesson starting at 3:45pm.”
- Wintergreen: 100% Open.
- “We’re getting ready for a big holiday weekend and we’re starting early on Thursday with our annual Powder of Love Valentine’s Day celebration.”
- Bryce: 100% Open (terrain).
- Latest update from Bryce was last week . . . does this mean their terrain park is still set up!?!?
- Homestead: Open 9-4:30 on 8 runs and 2 lifts.
- “Hi Mike, Jeff Kelly (a member of our ski patrol) took this picture this morning! . . .
Wisp picked up “trace” overnight . . . has some light snow in their forecast today
- Wisp: “Snow and freezing rain before 8am, then rain and snow between 8am and noon, then rain after noon. High near 36 . . . Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.”
- 27 runs open (Groomed on 23).
- Central Park and Lower Boulder Park . . . “Open with limited features”
Ober MIGHT see snowmaking weather on Tuesday night
- Ober: “Good morning Tennessee! Slopes are open from Noon-10pm, Grizzly, Ober Chute, Yeti’s Run, Upper Bear, Lower Bear, Mogul Ridge, Cub Way, Castle, Ski School All open with a 25-40″ base. Slopes are all groomed except for Mogul.”
- In addition . . . “Cubbie’s Snow Zone is open daily for those who would like to play in the snow, 10am-5pm! $5 ticket to enter.”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]