Mild and Sunny Today and Friday – When will Winter Return to the Southeast Ski Areas – Read on!

We’re continuing to tour the Southeast Ski Areas for our weather forecasts – in no particular order…so read away.

We’re supposed to be heading up to Wisp Resort in Maryland for the next few days and we’re sorry to say that yesterday’s forecast of a little rain on Saturday has now carried over into Sunday.  Today and Friday will be nice with highs in the low 50s today through Saturday and Partly Cloudy today and Friday – but a 50% chance of rain on Saturday, and slightly less of a chance of Sunday.  Sunday’s weather could start as rain but change to snow late. Temps return to more normal winter temps on Sunday through Tuesday.

Moving to Wintergreen next – It looks like temps in the upper 50s for Nellysford, Virginia today through Saturday. Friday could see some 60° temps. Today and Friday will be pretty.  There is a 40% chance of rain on Saturday.  Sunday through next Wednesday looks like Sunny skies and temps close to 50° each day.  The lows will be CLOSE to snowmaking…but iffy at 30-35° each night.

Let’s jump to Davis, West Virginia, home to Canaan and Timberline Resorts. Their forecast looks a lot like Wisp’s with mild and sunny weather today and Friday with highs in the upper 40s to low 50s.  Saturday provides a 50% chance of rain and highs in the mid 50s.  Lows tonight and Friday night will be in the upper 30s. Saturday night MIGHT provide some snowmaking ops with temps dipping to 29°.  Sunday shows a 30% chance of rain turning to snow with highs in the 30s and lows in the SNOWMAKING – mid 20s.  Monday and Tuesday look very nice with Partly Cloudy skies and highs in the upper 30s and lows in the mid 20s.  (More Snowmaking!)

Next Stop is Snowshoe, West Virginia where they look to be getting a few more chanced of under-developed snow (rain).  Today and Friday should be beautiful with highs in the mid to upper 40s and overnight lows near freezing (a chance of snowmaking ops).  Saturday brings with in highs in the mid to upper 40s and a 60% shot at rain.  Sunday should be nice with highs 40-45°.  Monday looks a little wet with a 40% chance of rain (60% chance it won’t.) Monday also looks cooler with highs 30-35° and lows in the upper 20s.

We will next take a look at Ober Gatlinburg in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Ober will be even more mild than the other Southeastern Ski Areas with highs today in the upper 50s, and even milder as we get to the weekend. Sunny skies will be the picture for today and Friday, but there’s a 60% chance of rain Saturday; nice Sunday’ and then more chances of light rain on Monday and Tuesday. No snowmaking ops through the period…unless they dip low enough overnight tonight.

Here’s the details for the Western North Carolina Mountains:

We’re going to see temperatures back on the mild side for the next couple of days and then actually not get cold, but back near normal for this time of year on Tuesday. (Not quite on the normal of low temps but close.)  Today and Friday, however, we will be some 20 degrees warmer than yesterday and about 15° warmer than the normal high temperature of 40°. Normal low temperatures for this time of year is 23° and we will be some 14-15° warmer than that as well.

A lot of people have emailed us saying that they like the new weather format and details, especially those relating historic information such as record highs and lows for the date.  So we’ll keep you guys happy.  On THIS date last year, we experienced a high of 26° and an overnight low of ONE (1°).  The record high temp of this date was a 62° reading and there’s only a slight chance that we could creep that high today.  The last time we saw that reading on this date was back in 1949.  The record low temperature for this date was a MINUS 15° reading back in 1994.  The largest snowfall for this date was in 1955 with 7” of snow.

The mountains of Western North Carolina will see mild temps today and Friday with beautiful skies.  Saturday will be continued mild, with a 70% chance of rain. Mild again on Sunday – but pretty.

Meteorologist Brad Panovich sent us some information yesterday that hints at a pattern change that may signal a more normal winter pattern of cold and better chances for snow that should begin to take effect around the first of the month.  We’ll keep an eye on that for you.  For now, enjoy the cheaper heating bills!

Here’s the rest of the details:

Thursday…Mostly sunny. Highs 53 to 58. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Friday…Mostly sunny in the morning…Then becoming partly cloudy. Highs 50-55. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Overnight lows around 30° (May see some snowmaking.)

Saturday…Showers likely. Highs in the mid 50s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.  Overnight lows around 38°

Sunday…Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 50s. Lows in the lower  to mid 30s.

Monday…Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain showers. Highs in the lower 50s. Lows in the mid 30s.

Tuesday…Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 40s. Lows in the upper 20s.

Wednesday…Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 40s. Lows in the upper 20s.

Until Next Time!

Check out www.HighCountryWeather.com for more information.

Be sure to email photos, snow reports and comments to: [email protected]

SHARE
Previous articleMild Days Ahead – Will Winter Return in Early February?
Next articleA Nice Couple of Days on the Slopes of North Carolina!
Mike Doble
Mike is the Editor and founder of SkiSoutheast.com, SkiNC.com and ResortCams.com. Since September 1996 he has posted more than 13,000 posts, articles, photos and videos promoting all of the ski areas of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland.Mike is the father of four daughters, is an avid skier and enjoys golf, tennis, kayaking and hiking in the mountains. Winter snowsports and Summer boating on Watauga Lake are among his favorite pastimes.