This weekend was quite nice. I made it to a medley of the NC resorts from Friday to Sunday. Depending on where you live, one of the perks of living in Western North Carolina is that there are 7 resorts within a 2 hour drive . . . not bad! That’s quite a bit of terrain to choose from and, believe it or not, the conditions can be quite a bit different within that 2 hour radius as well.
Enough about NC though, because the real big winners from this past weekend was just about everywhere else. Last night, we saw Omni come up big with 1.5″ of new snow, followed by Massanutten, Wisp, and Beech (1″), Winterplace (.5″), Canaan and Timberline (.4″). These numbers are NICE LEFTOVERS from a whooping storm.
Today, many resorts are reporting packed powder conditions (all of WV), a couple of deals to be had (Wolf, Massanutten), or just some extra fun . . . Tubing at Bryce and XC skiing at Canaan.
This week looks mighty fine . . . most of the base depth snow is going to stick around this week as temps don’t get much above freezing, regionally. Rumor has it, another storm is brewing too!
Lets start off with those resorts that picked up some snow . . .
VA has some nice conditions . . . Leftovers from Winter Storm Gia to be had.
- Massanutten: Picked up 1″ of snow in the last 24 hours. 7″ storm total.
- Schools Out Special today, $40 Slope-Use ticket if your school is closed for inclement weather.
- Monday Night Madness tonight, $20 Slope-Use, $20 equipment rental and a free beginner lesson. Tickets available at 3:45pm.
- Snowmaking in process on CMB Terrain Park!
- Wintergreen: 5″ storm total.
- 14 runs and 4 lifts open on a 40+” base.
- Snowmaking on 8 additional, unopened runs.
- Another one in the hopper! . . . “If you didn’t catch this storm, no reason to worry, there’s another one in the hopper later this week”.
- Bryce: Cams showing ‘light snow’ falling this morning.
- Open on 7 runs and 3 lifts until 5pm.
- Opened up snow tubing for today (typically closed on Mondays). . . “No school tomorrow? Go snowtubing, we will have special hours Monday 1/13…10:30am, 1 pm, 3pm”
- Omni Homestead: Picked up 1.5″ in the last 24 hours. 6.5″ storm total.
- Open on a 24″ groomed/packed powder base with 5 runs (3 intermediate, 2 beginner) and 2 lifts spinning
- Mini snowmobiles open today
Western MD got an inch yesterday/last night
- Wisp: 1″ in the last 24 hours, 5″ in 48 hours.
- Snowmaking on 7 additional, unopened runs.
- Building Central (terrain) Park (Typically Large Features) today and tomorrow.
WV got half an inch in most places . . . All WV resorts reporting Packed Powder conditions!
- Canaan Valley: .4″ in the last 24 hours. 13″ since Jan. 8th!
- 17 of 47 runs open on a Packed Powder base.
- XC skiing on 30km of trails plus their golf course.
- Winterplace: .5″ in the last 24 hours.
- 15 runs on a healthy 28-48″ base
- Forecast looks good . . . “Cloudy with some snow showers throughout the day.”
- 50 runs open on 206 Acres!
- The outlook looks good . . . “This run of cooler weather means our snowmakers have been able to dish it out, getting us closer to opening new trails.”
- Snowmaking on Gandy Dancer, Upper Shay’s, and Knife Blade today.
- Timberline: .4″ in the last 24 hours. 13″ since Jan. 8th!
- 6 (of 40 runs) open until 4:30pm today.
- Snowmaking is on today . . . 1 additional unopened trail Upper Dew Drop (intermediate).
Storm just touches some of NC mountains
- Beech: 1″ in the last 24 hours (mostly fell early this morning). Open from the top.
- Appalachian: Skiing/riding on 9 runs and 5 lifts . . . good ratio
- Cataloochee: 14 runs with 5 lifts, open until 10pm tonight.
- Wolf: Offering a mid-week deal in January, “$40 gets you a lift ticket-Day Area Pass from 9am -4:30pm, rental equipment and beginner Group Lesson (ages 8 and up / lesson offered at 9am or 1pm). Can not be combined with other offers or discounts. Available Monday – Thursday in January (excluding January 21, 2019)”
- Sapphire Valley: Open from 4-8pm today on a 13-46″ Base. Tubing open from 4-8pm as well.
Ober looking to benefit from this upcoming weather . . .
- Ober: Open from Noon to 10pm today.
- Good temperatures and terrain upcoming . . . “We are hoping to make snow tonight and tomorrow night with hopes of getting more terrain open soon”.
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]