Cold and Snow to the North and Sunny and Cold into Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina

We’re still in that weird weather pattern that has the Southeast divided up as if it was a national weather map showing the difference between MAINE’S weather and Florida !  Typically we don’t see such a huge difference in temps from Wisp in Maryland, Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia and the highest elevations east of the Mississippi which is in Western North Carolina .  However lately that has not been the case and that pattern continues today as snow and colder air is showing up across West Virginia and into Maryland . At least the temps are cold further South into Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina …but the skies are sunny and clear!  Here’s some featured forecasts for the region.

We’ll start with CANAAN VALLEY AND TIMBERLINE RESORT IN WEST VIRGINIA.  Some people have asked us about the pronunciation of that popular resort.  Some pronounce it like the Bible region such as kay-nan.  However it is actually pronounced kuh-nain.  Anyway, on to the weather. Canaan and Timberline Resorts will both see some light snow today through noon or so and then gradually become sunny.  Highs will be near freezing all day and drop to around 15° tonight.  Sunday will be mostly sunny and cold with a high near 35° or so and a low Sunday night near 22°. Monday offers a chance of snow showers and a high in the mid 30s. The low Monday night should be near 20°. Tuesday will remain cold and partly cloudy with a high near 38° and a low near 19°.  Things begin to mild up a bit with each day past Tuesday.  By Friday they could be looking at a high very close to 60°.

MASSANUTTEN RESORT IN VIRGINIA – Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. North wind between 13 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.  Tonight: Clear, with a low around 20. North wind between 8 and 16 mph. Sunday: Sunny, with a high around 54. Northwest wind between 6 and 9 mph.  Sunday Night: A chance of snow, mainly after 3am. Increasing clouds, with a low near 34. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Monday: A chance of rain and snow before 1pm, then a chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 46. Light north wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Monday Night: A slight chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Tuesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 47. Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 24. Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. Wednesday Night: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low near 33. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Thursday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 53. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Thursday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Friday: A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 65. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

NC MOUNTAINS – It’s VERY cold this morning across the region.  Beech Mountain is reporting in with 13° this morning.  Blowing Rock is showing 20°, Cataloochee is about the same.  That made it such that all of the ski areas that wanted to make snow – could!  All except Wolf Laurel did so.

The forecast calls for a sunny day today with highs slightly colder than normal at about 41°.  Lows will dip tonight to 20° or so.  Sunday will be variably cloudy with highs around 42°.  Sunday night brings a chance of rain or mixed precip with lows around freezing.  Monday will offer a slight chance of mixed preceip with a high around 45° and a low of 28° Monday night with a slight chance of freezing drizzle.  Tuesday should be mostly sunny with a high near 41° and a low of around 35°.  That begins a warming trend that with each passing day will get milder and milder. Wednesday’s in the mid to upper 40s, Thursday milder and by Friday we could see temps in the low to mid 60s!  Right now the long range through March 13th shows no snowmaking temps or cold air.

Until Next Time!

Be sure to email photos, snow reports and comments to: [email protected]

SHARE
Previous articleGreat Weekend for Snowmaking – Then a Mild-up through March 13th at least…
Next articleSoutheast Skier’s Update for Saturday, March 4th, 2006
Mike Doble
Mike is the Editor and founder of SkiSoutheast.com, SkiNC.com and ResortCams.com. Since September 1996 he has posted more than 13,000 posts, articles, photos and videos promoting all of the ski areas of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland.Mike is the father of four daughters, is an avid skier and enjoys golf, tennis, kayaking and hiking in the mountains. Winter snowsports and Summer boating on Watauga Lake are among his favorite pastimes.