A strange phenomenon happens when the temps get this cold . . . and no, it’s not just that people get grumpy. I’m talking about when the air gets this cold and dry . . . that rare mix has a hard time supporting moisture. Basically the snow guns look more like a cloud machine!
This was pretty much the theme of the morning, as efforts are futile to make snow at these temps. And again, Wind Chill Warnings are in effect today for Snowshoe, Wisp, Canaan Valley, and Timberline. But . . . temps will rise today (to a balmy 6F at Canaan) and the Mountain state is even expected to see some significant snow tomorrow!
The Mountain State is open today . . . those guys are tough! (even Oglebay)
- Canaan Valley: -19.3F this morning. High of only 6F today . . . David Lesher (of Canaan Mountain Snow) mentions, “Clearing, winds diminishing and temperature dropping to a record low of -19F at daybreak.”
- NWS says, “Wind Chill Warning in Effect . . . temps as low as -35F with the wind chill”
- Open on 20 trails . . . snowmaking on 5 of those trails (including Upper and Lower Ramble)
- Received .9″ of snow overnight . . . 3-5″ of snow expected tomorrow!
- Snowshoe: -13F this morning. High of only 4F today.
- Wind Chill Warning in Effect . . . temps as low as -36F with the wind chill
- 58 trails open (including the steeeep Lower Shay’s Revenge) . . . snowmaking on 18 of those trails. Every trail (except Camp 99) has been groomed.
- Received .5″ of snow overnight . . . 2-4″ expected tomorrow!
- Timberline: -19.3F this morning. High of 6F today.
- Wind Chill Warning in Effect
- Reopened today with 8 trails and 2 lifts.
- Snowmaking on 7 open trails, plus closed (beginner) Winterset, Winterset Spur, and (difficult) Off the Wall
- Received .9″ of snow overnight . . . 3-5″ expected tomorrow.
- Winterplace: -2.4F this morning. High of 20F today.
- Forecast: Sunny today with increasing clouds tonight and snow in the forecast for tomorrow . . . little or no accumulation expected.
- Surface conditions: Machine groomed. Overeasy, Buttermilk and Milkshake will be closed for snowmaking.
- Comments: Snowtubing will be closed Tuesday, January 29th through Thursday, January 31st for snowmaking and reshaping. The snowtubing park will reopen on Friday, February 1st.
Wisp is entrenched in arctic air
- Wisp: cancelled snowtubing last night because of dangerously cold temps . . . “it is cold outside folks, and we cannot remind you enough – make sure to bundle up! Snow Tubing will not be offered this evening due to low temperatures. We made this decision to keep our guests and staff safe.”
- -11F this morning. High of 7F. Wind chill values as low as -31F.
- 29 runs open (25 groomed). Snowmaking on 11 open and 2 unopened runs.
- 3-4″ of snow possible for tomorrow!
VA sees negative temps this morning
- Massanutten: “It’s a two hat day out there this morning, layer up and enjoy the sunshine and copius snow. Highs near 20 with light winds, snowmaking in progress. Pacesetter Terrain Park will be closed for snowmaking.”
- Open on 13 (of 14) runs, with snowmaking on all but Yeeha. All runs groomed
- Little or no snow accumulation tomorrow
- Wintergreen: solid update from Wintergreen . . .
- “SNOWPOWER has been cranking out snow all night and we have piles everywhere – plenty of snow to make the season last.
- Intensive snowmaking in the terrain park has allowed us to expand the park and open new features. Check it out!
- We’re closing in on 100% open terrain! Our last trail to open, Outer Limits, will open on Friday – be there! Ski and ride on ALL of our slopes and trails this weekend.”
- Bryce: 100% open terrain . . . (8 of 8 runs)
- Olympian downhill ski racer made an appearance yesterday . . .
- Omni Homestead: 100% open . . . 9 (of 9) runs and 2 (of 2) lifts.
- Slope Hours: 10am-4pm
- Rental Hours: 9:30am-4:30pm
- 30″ base with groomed/packed powder conditions.
NC is a little warmer . . . but hardly
- Beech Mountain: same trail report as yesterday . . . 13 runs w/ 5 lifts (groomed/packed powder)
- Superbowl and Ski/Snowboard! . . .”Come watch Superbowl LIII at the Taproom & Grill, Sunday, Feb. 3rd, 2019! Kick-off is at 6:30 p.m. With ten 40in TVs and a projector screen, you won’t miss a moment of the big game! We are also offering 25% off wings and $5 pints!”
- Cataloochee: 100% open lifts and runs
- plans for the weekend . . . “We are getting ready for a great weekend of skiing and riding coming up with the past days of natural snow, snowmaking and cold temps.”
- Groomed and packed powder surface conditions
- App: 85 snow guns running overnight!
- Wolf: Snowmaking is on . . . 1″ of manmade snow added to their base overnight.
Ober opens more terrain
- Ober: “Today, Grizzly joins the list of open runs and we are 90% open!”
- “Slopes are all groomed out except for Mogul, which is in pretty fantastic shape! The Terrain Park is set up with several big rollers, which is a little different than usual… and really fun!”
- “. . . will most likely cut the guns off near 1-2pm, depending on when it warms up.”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]