Today’s featured image is from Snowshoe Mountain Resort from last weekend. After the rain moves out, we could see conditions that are just as good as the spectacular conditions we had last weekend.
The roller coaster season continues.
After a rainy morning, we will see the cold and even some light snow will arrive later this evening with perfect timing.
Temperatures this morning are on the warm side as we have temperatures in the upper 40’s and 50’s – which in some locations is 20 degrees warmer than yesterday. The bottom falls out as we will drop to the low 20’s and upper 10’s by tonight.
Talk about a wild ride.
The northern part of the region (especially Snowshoe, Canaan, and Wisp) look to get some light natural snow tonight and in the morning with the thinking being 1-3”. The rest of the area could see some flakes, but it depends on how much moisture is left in the atmosphere.
More importantly, the mountain operation crews will get to do their thing and crank up the snowmaking efforts to full blast. With how efficient snowmaking has become, we are looking at an absolutely fantastic President’s Day Weekend with a large snowmaking window. We’ve even heard of one resort that is bringing in extra equipment to take full advantage of the opportunity.
While we are waiting on the cold air to move in, there is no way to describe this morning except for wet. The rain has been heavy at times as the system has moved through. Once the system clears out, we are looking for a really nice holiday weekend.
All things considered, coverage on the slopes continues to look really good. Conditions this morning will be varied depending on location, but the snow should be soft area-wide.
For the full snow report, check out the Snow Reports page.
Here are a couple of notable items from around the area.
- Omni Homestead has pushed reopening back a day to the weather. They are planning on offering skiing, snowboarding, tubing and mini snowmobiles starting on Friday for the weekend. They join Wolf Ridge and Ski Sapphire Valley as the three resorts set for a Friday reopening.
- Wintergreen shared a great “State of the Slopes” report yesterday.
- With Valentine’s Day being tomorrow in addition to it being President’s Day Weekend, there are several resorts that have special offers and events planned. Be sure to check out the resort websites or our event calendar for the latest.
It even looks like Cupid will even hit the slopes tomorrow.
- Beech Mountain is hosting a Runs for the Buns on March 7 that will benefit the Colon Cancer Coalition. We will be sharing more information on this great event later today.
- Brian Duy and family have been at Snowshoe all week, and have reported that conditions have been great. We love receiving trip reports and photos from the slopes – be sure to send us yours to [email protected]
- Speaking of Snowshoe, we have passed the 100-mark as far as the number of attendees at the Ski Southeast Summit. It’s not too late to join us at Snowshoe Feb. 28, 29 and March 1 as we hang out and enjoy what will be a great weekend on the mountain.
It is going to be a day of change once the temperature starts falling. Be sure to follow us over on social media for the latest updates and information from the resorts.
Until next time, #THINKSNOW!
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]