The photo above was taken last week, and is courtesy of Justin Harris at Canaan Valley Resort. He writes . . .
“I like the perspective of our mountain on a cold winter day with the frozen tributary of the Blackwater (river) in the foreground. This was taken near sunset.”
Monday is upon us with a slightly different rhythm to the day. Many of us are adjusting to the time change and warmer weather. Folks are looking forward to getting off of work in the evening and getting out for a run, hike, or bike.
Some lucky folks will be take some late afternoon/early evening ski laps as the late evening light is intact until around 7:30pm. There are (still) many good days to be had.
Overnight, we didn’t see any resorts make snow as the only sub-freezing temp was seen at Snowshoe. That changes tonight as most resorts MAY put-out some snow, just to keep the slopes fresh. This trend may continue tomorrow night as further north resorts have a ‘second chance’, if you will, to make some fresh stuff.
Plan to get out early this week, as the late workweek looks a little soggy.
WV is going be ‘sprinting through the finish line this year’ . . . no sign of slowing down.
- Canaan Valley: 26 runs with Packed Powder Conditions
- “We are entering our final week of the season, with a closing date of this Sunday, March 17th, and we are still looking good on our mountain.
- Snow in the forecast . . . “The bases on our slopes are holding up great, and the weather doesn’t look bad at all for our final week. There is snow in the forecast for this Saturday.”
- Snowshoe: 60 runs with Spring Conditions
- Currently 26F, but with Spring Conditions this afternoon . . “It’s going to be a pleasant day on the mountain, staying dry with warmer temperatures.
- Groomed on 58 (of 60 runs) . . . Get out early and get the fresh corduroy as it could turn into spring conditions later in the day.”
- (extended) Closing date of Sunday, March 31st . . . “We still have plenty of days left in the season with plenty of awesome events to come!”
- Winterplace: 23 runs with Groomed, Granular, and Variable Conditions
- Currently 33F but with a High of 49F today . . . Forecast: Partly sunny throughout the day.
- Open 9:30am to 4:30pm with Value Season Rates in effect
- I know it’s late in the season, but there IS a snow making chance tonight as the temp dips to 26F.
NC still has 3 resorts planning to stay open until late(ish) March
- Beech Mountain: 9 runs with Loose Granular / Groomed Conditions
- Snow making opportunity TONIGHT with a Low of 24F. Beech has a big event this upcoming weekend, so we may see them freshen up their slopes.
- March Madness rates in effect . . . 25% off Skiing AND Tubing
- No closing date announced yet, to my knowledge.
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: 100% Open with 12 runs on a groomed base
- You gotta love the caption with their latest FB post . . .
- Cataloochee: 14 runs on a 40-75″ groomed base.
- “Yes, we have plenty of snow, yesterday was an amazing day out there and we are expecting another today . . . We assure you we have more than enough snow for your skiing and riding experience well through the end of March.”
- Yesterday, Cat reached out to their terrain park enthusists . . . “For our terrain park supporters, we have heard you and have refocused our commitment to the park beginning now and for the upcoming season, and will begin with some smaller features and rails . . . Yes, we have fallen down on that task, but acknowledge it and are committed from this point forward.”
- Today, “We have 11 features in our terrain parks located on Upper Turkey Trot, Richards Run, and Short n Sweet.”
VA is still nearly 100% open, with 100% sunshine today.
- Wintergreen: “Conditions are incredible – we still have ALL of our slopes open for you to ski and ride. Temps will be seasonal, so wear layers to shed as the sun warms the day. Sun screen is a must!”
- Still, at least, a week left . . . “We will be operating from 9a-5p today as well as everyday for the rest of the season. We have a ton of snow left and plan on operating through at least the 17th of March.”
- Sad news in regards to an accident at Wintergreen yesterday . . . Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.
- Massanutten: 100% open with 14 runs and 6 lifts
- “Sunshine with highs in the mid- 50s. Sunshine and soft turns are out there for the taking today. The bumps on Upper Mak Attack are sking very nicely.”
- This soft snow is great for making some laps through the terrain park . . . CMB OPEN & PACESETTER PARKS ARE OPEN – 21 FREESTYLE FEATURES
- Bryce: 100% opened with 8 runs on a groomed base
Wendy White commented on Facebook and said, “Had a great time today at Winterfest! Pond skimming was hilarious !!!!!”. We would love to get some photos / trip report from experiences at Winterfest this past weekend. Send us your pics/videos.
Wisp has beautiful days ahead, with beautiful (snow making) nights
- Wisp: 28 runs and on a groomed / frozen granular base
- Next 3 days look ideal at Wisp . . .
High: 43Low: 21
High: 37Low: 24
High: 54Low: 40
Ober is looking forward to a beautiful spring ski day
- Ober: Good Monday Morning!! We are open from Noon-10pm and will have 5 runs open: Mogul Ridge, Upper Bear Run, Cub Way, Ski School and Castle! The base is 15-35″ on our main slopes and the terrain park is located on the Skiers Right of Castle Run. Snow conditions are Machine Groomed. It is looking to be a beautiful day for spring skiing!
- END OF SEASON UPDATE: We will continue to operate our ski/snowboard slopes daily as long as we can, potentially through March 17th. This week, we will operate Mon-Friday, Noon-10pm, Saturday 9am-10pm, Sunday 9am-7pm.
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]