The cold air has really settled in, and we are seeing temperatures that should reflect typical January numbers. No real temperature inversions to speak of, which is the sign of high (cold) pressure throughout the region. That being said, we are going to have a slight, brief warm up (in southern locales) today with freezing temperatures returning tonight. More northern regions will stay sub-freezing throughout the day, today.
All of this really bodes well for resorts as they gear up for one of the biggest holiday weekends of the Winter . . . MLK on Monday. More on that as those weather patterns begin to lock-in.
More terrain opens (or set to open) in VA
- Today . . . “Mostly sunny with highs in the mid 30s. Sunshine and lots of snow will make today another stellar day to get out on the mountain.”
- Coming up . . . “1-2″ snow forecast for Thur evening. CMB Terrain Park will open this weekend.”
- Deal of the Day . . . College Days Special today, $40 Slope-Use with valid ID.
- Wintergreen: Ridgley’s (fun) park opens up this Saturday
- Today . . . “This morning we’ll be opening the resort with 17 slopes and trails. Tequila and Tyro, one of our favorite slopes with a long run and an exciting finish, will be added to our morning line up.”
- Plans for the rest of this week, through this weekend . . . “Snowmaking continues. The plan is to keep building our base while working on opening more trails. We hope to open up more terrain on during this holiday weekend.”
- Omni: Scheduled closure . . . “Our winter sports area is closed on Wednesdays for maintenance.” Snowmaking in progress.
- Bryce: open until 8:30pm tonight
Wisp opens more terrain!
- Wisp: 18 runs open (up from 16 yesterday). 8 lifts open (up from 7 yesterday).
- Snowmaking in progress on 4 unopened, additional runs.
- Central Park (terrain park with ‘Large’ features) is open today.
I failed to mention yesterday that Ober received 2-3″ of natural snowfall!
- Ober: Opens at Noon with 5 runs on a 27-40″ base.
Snowmaking in NC increases base depths 3-4″ on average
- Cataloochee: Base depth increase up to 51-81″
- We appreciate the forewarning . . . “The Omigosh double chairlift to the top servicing Upper O and Upper Snowbird trail may be closed part of the day to complete some necessary tree removal trail work.”
- Terrain park features set up on Turkey Trot
- Snowmaking in progress on ‘Short and Sweet’
- Deal of the Day . . . Wednesdays are Family Day
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: Base depth increase, now up to 68-94″
- If you in the NC high country this evening, cheer on some junior racers . . . App Cup Race Series
- Beech Mountain: Base depth increase, now up to 36-58″
- A shout out to those kids who competed in the High Country Junior Freestyle Series . . . Report and Results
- Wolf Ridge: Base depth increase, now up to 40″
- Weather for today . . . “We will have a full round of sunshine today…making it a great day to come and Ride the Wolf!
- Great deal . . . “It’s Women’s Wednesday on the slopes…ladies get 1/2 off lift tickets!”
- Sapphire: closed mid-week. Base depth report: 15-45″
The entire state of WV is primed for the next snowstorm . . . it’s gonna be a biggie!
- Snowshoe: not much new at the ‘Shoe . . . other than 206 Acres are open! That’s exactly 8,973,360 Square Feet of open terrain. Sounds like a pretty wide-open place on a mid-week day.
- Canaan: Packed Powder conditions. Trace snow overnight
- up to 23 trails open (some with natural snow)
- Dark Side of the Moon (advanced trail) is open with natural snow.
- XC skiing . . . “Shallow and light, with snow in the forecast for the second half of the week.”
- Winterplace: Armed Forces Appreciation Day
- Timberline: Reopened today. Trace snow overnight
- Groomed 6 runs, 2 lifts, open until 4:30pm
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]