Last night we saw a bit of snow fall on the NC/TN state line . . . basically along the Appalachian Trail. That tends to happen when we get a little ‘Northwest Flow event’. Even if it doesn’t always bring in much snow, it DOES tend to bring in the cold temperatures . . . that’s what we saw. As a side note, flurries are STILL in the forecast for Beech this morning.
There is a bluebird day in store for Virginia (looks line one of the top 5 days of the year so far up there).
. . . And, Canaan is opening up more terrain that has some fresh powder at the waiting.
Looks like a great day all around!
NC/TN Border saw a LITTLE snow last night
- Cataloochee: 1″ of new snow overnight, and currently making snow
- Making snow on ‘Short ‘n Sweet’ . . . unopened green run
- Park hounds unite . . . “We have some terrain features set up on Turkey Trot”.
- Tuesdays are Homeschool Days
Beech: .8″ of new snow, and currently making snow.
- Fun forecast at Beech today . . . “a slight chance of snow showers before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 28.”
- Wolf Ridge: .5″ of new snow, and currently making snow.
- “It just got announced that a few lucky Students and Teachers have a SNOW Day…come take advantage of our Snow Day Special $15 lift tickets (only valid during the Day Session 9am-4:30pm), $7 ski rental, $15 snowboard rental and $10 Beginner Group Lesson.”
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: Trace snowfall
- Base Grows an inch . . . to 67-93″
- App Cup race series begins tomorrow night
- Sapphire Valley: closed mid-week (reopens Fri. @ Noon), 1-3″ of machine made snow overnight
Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
- Timberline: Posted on the headliner of their website, “We Will Be Closed Tuesday, January 15th and Reopen Wednesday, January 16th.”
Canaan: 23 Runs open! (up from 17 yesterday) Those include:
- Powder Stashes in Meadows 1 and 2. Snowfields is also open with plenty of powder
- XC Skiing report:
Shallow and light, with snow in the forecast for the second half of the week.
- Snowshoe: 50 Runs on a Groomed / Packed Powder Base.
- According to their snow report, Snowshoe made snow on Timberjack last night which sets them up for a park build . . .”Timberjack is open as a ski trail without features (build coming soon!).”
- Temps stay below freezing for their mid-week forecast.
- Winterplace: picked up Trace snow last night.
- Open on 15 runs on a Groomed / Packed Powder Base.
- BOTH Tubing parks have reopened
- EMS Appreciation Day today
Wisp is amped!
- Wisp: picked up Trace snow overnight, and currently snowmaking
- reporting, “a strong base of 27 inches and more terrain set to open up this week”.
- Open on 16 runs (up from 15 yesterday) and snowmaking on 6 unopened, additional runs.
- Central Park (terrain park with large features) opens tomorrow
VA resorts stay below freezing for optimal snowmaking . . . gorgeous looking day today.
- Wintergreen: Seems pretty inviting to me . . . “Our team of snowmakers were busy all night turning water into flakes; our groomers created a white blanket of pristine corduroy; and Mother Nature put the icing on the cake sprinkling the slopes with snow flurries”.
- Open on 14 runs with snowmaking on 8 unopened, additional runs, as they also mention, “Snowmaking will continue all day as we continue to add more terrain.”
- “Awesome sliding again today, we were all set to start on Paradice last night but unfortunately the temperatures didn’t drop into the sweet spot until 6:00am.”
- Schools Out Special today, $40 Slope-Use ticket if your school is closed for inclement weather.
Omni Homestead: Open on a 24″ groomed, packed powder base.
- Best advise ever! . . . “Snowmaking is underway and will continue throughout the day. Goggles are recommended”
- Bryce: Currently 28°, and don’t appear to be snowmaking this morning . . . no change to their Snow Report
Temps lined-up for Ober . . . full steam ahead!
- Ober: “The temps are once again in our favor! We’ve been making snow since last night at 10pm and will continue to make snow as temperatures allow. We are making snow on the current open runs AND Ober Chute and Yeti’s. Tomorrow night also looks favorable at this point or snowmaking as well”.
- Open @ Noon on a 27-39″ base.
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]