We COULD see a ‘wintry mix’ in the final week

First TraxGeneral

Stay up to date by getting notified of new posts!

As we enter the last week of the season, we MIGHT even see snow at some of the resorts in the Southeast, although don’t get your hopes too high as ‘little or no accumulation is expected’. The places that might see some flakes include:

Wisp: Tonight: Rain and snow likely before 10pm, then a chance of snow between 10pm and 1am. Little or no accumulation is expected.

Snowshoe Mountain: Tonight: a chance of rain and snow between midnight and 2am.

Cataloochee: Tomorrow: a chance of rain and snow between 7am and noon.

Even though Beech is now closed, the area could see some some mixing tonight and tomorrow, where ‘a slight chance of rain and snow between 7am and 1pm’ may occur.

But remember, it’s not the natural snow that keeps resorts open late in the season, it’s the commitment to aggressive snowmaking throughout the season that helps them ‘bank’ snow during the thin times.

I hope to get up to ski/ride at least once this week . . . Although twice would be nice!

Three resorts open and eager this morning!

  • Snowshoe Mountain: 
    • “It’s going to be another mild one today, with a good chance for some “under-developed snow” to move in this afternoon. All the more reason to make sure you get out and get after it this morning.
    • Good grooming with below freezing temps through Wednesday Night . . . “The next few days are shaping up nicely with sunny, mild afternoons and cold overnight lows that will allow our groomers to keep things combed out nice and neat.”
    • Get your bumps! . . . “Lower Shay’s, Choker, Knotbumper, and Camp 99 are ungroomed and sporting some nice bumps so come and get it!”
  • Snowshoe looks really good this morning!
  • Cataloochee: “Mondays are for Making Turns!
    • We have lost a little snow but if you look at our webcams you can really see the amount of snow depth we have.  Conditions continue to be great for late season skiing . . . “
    • “Today we will be skiing and riding on a base of 25-65″ on 13 slopes and four lifts and offer one session:  day skiing from 9am-4:30pm with a morning or afternoon half day rate available. The quad lift will not be running today.”
    • From yesterday . . .

  • Wisp: Open from 9am-5pm with a 30″ Groomed and Variable Base.
    • 15 runs
      • 3 groomed
      • 12 ungroomed
      • 2 terrain parks open (Medium and Large Features)
Wisp has some nice runs open down the frontside

Skiing/Riding in Virginia is possible this upcoming weekend!

  • Massanutten: “The snow is holding up so well that we decided to try it again on next Saturday, Mar 30. We’ll be closed Mon – Fri but plan to re-open for one more day on Mar 30 from 9:00am – 5:00pm. As always, check back here for the most current information. Carpe skiem!”
Massanutten plans to re-open this upcoming Saturday!
  • Bryce: Bill Nabers mentions, Bryce is planning to re-open for skiing/snowboarding next Saturday and Sunday (March 30-31). I do not know about the slope count (I’m guessing 3-4 with at least one, maybe two, from the top of the chairlift) . . . If we stay open till the 31st, it will mark the second straight year we will have made it all the way till the end of March.”
Base is still holding up at Bryce

That’s all for today.

We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:

Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications

Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!

If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.

Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]

Previous Post
Another Beautiful Sunday for Playing on the Snow
Next Post
Mid-week weather is ‘Money’ this week
Related Posts