I suppose you could call the weather a little ‘bipolar’ lately, and you would be spot-on. Today sees the return of the ‘polar’ aspect of our regional roller coaster. Temps will really get cold as most of WV/Western MD will get into the single digits. Factor in the wind chill, and it will be down to -11F at Wisp tonight . . . Points south will see the mercury dip into the teens/20’s throughout the remainder of the region.
The good news is that EVERY resort will have the opportunity to make snow tonight. The big issue are those winds (25-35mph . . . gusting to 45mph) that want to throw off the snowmaking efforts.
I still think that its going to be a great weekend . . . and weekends are prime for the ski resort industry.
WV has a fantastic weekend in store . . . even Oglebay gets in on the action
- Snowshoe: 100% Open Terrain and Lifts
- Snowmaking Window: Now until Sunday afternoon . . . “The good times and good ski conditions continue to roll with cold temperatures here to stay.”
- Groomed 43 (of 60) runs . . . “Our top-notch team of groomers have the trails combed up and ready for another awesome day on the mountain.”
- Terrain Park Finished . . . “If your into tearing it up in the park and you’re ready to take your skills to the next level, check out the new build in Evolution.”
- Snowmaking plans . . . “As soon as those temps drop below freezing, our snowmaking team will begin the process and work throughout the night, guaranteeing excellent conditions for the weekend.”
- Trail tips . . . “Gravity is looking great with a fresh groom, Meadows 1 continues to hold its terrain features, and our Main Drag down the middle of the mountain (aka Valley Vista) is always a solid option for a smooth run”.
- This weekend . . . S’mores Night (tonight) from 6pm to 9pm. Tele-Revival (tomorrow) . . . call and pre-register with the Snowsports School office.
- 48hr snowmaking window . . . Friday afternoon thru Sun afternoon
- Forecast: Chance of snow this morning then becoming mostly sunny with temperature falling throughout the day.
- “Join us at Mickey’s Cafe next to Chairlift 1 for a Tap Takeover with Founders Brewery!”
- Join us for Live Music by Clinton ScottWhere: Snowdrift LoungeWhen: Saturday from 2pm-5pm
- Timberline: 48hr Snowmaking window . . . Friday afternoon thru Sunday afternoon
- 9 (of 40) runs open . . . Breakdown:
- 8 Beginner Runs
- 1 Intermediate Run (Lower Almost Heaven)
- 9 (of 40) runs open . . . Breakdown:
NC has all eyes on snowmaking
- Wolf: 36hr snowmaking window . . . Friday evening thru Sunday morning.
- Wants YOU to play hooky today . . . “For all those adults tired of adulting this is your day to take a sick day and come play Hooky with us! We have the remedy for you…$15 lift ticket (Day Session 9am-4:30pm), $7 ski and $15 snowboard rental. **This special is for Adults only (ages 18 & up) – Students stay in school!**.”
- Cataloochee: Snowmaking temps occur overnight this weekend
- “Colder temperatures are moving back into the forecast this weekend along with a return to snowmaking.”
- “Remember, Friday, February 8 continues the second day of Law Enforcement Appreciation Days.”
- Beech: Snowmaking temps . . . today, tonight, and tomorrow night.
- App: Snowmaking temps . . . tonight and tomorrow night
- Photo of the Day from yesterday! . . .
- Sapphire Valley: Snowmaking temps . . . tonight and tomorrow night
No more ‘Mayuarary’ in VA . . . Temps are dropping!
- “For today, bring your sunscreen, the sun will shine. Temperatures will drop all day, so bring some cold weather gear, too.”
- “Winter temperatures are back tonight and we’ll be making lots of beautiful powder – it could even be round the clock snowmaking for a few days.”
- “‘Mayuarary’ comes to a close today with temperatures dropping throughout the day and snowmaking to begin as temperatures allow.”
- “We are hosting USSA and USASA events this weekend which will keep Diamond Jim closed until early afternoon on both days and Pacesetter closed for Bordercross Sat and Sun.”
- College Days Special today – $40 Slope Use with valid ID.
- Homestead: “Snowmaking will resume this evening”
- “We are looking forward to a great weekend for winter sports!”
- 28″ of groomed, wet granular snow conditions.
- 8 Runs and 2 lifts open until 4:30pm
- Bryce: Snowmaking window . . . next 5 nights!
Wisp is going to see -11F wind chills tonight!
- Wisp: Rain begins to freeze . . . “Please Be Aware – Operations may be delayed or change quickly with today’s inclement weather.”
- Open on 28 runs (13 groomed)
- Snowmaking window . . . 48hrs. (Friday afternoon thru Sunday afternoon)
Ober is amped for the cold air
- Ober: “Good morning Tennessee! We are happy to see the temps drop over 45 degrees from yesterday! Looks like some light precipitation first thing this morning, making way for a much colder day today. Temps begin to drop around freezing tonight near 10 and we will be making snow as soon as we possibly can.”
- Tomorrow . . . “Feb 9: Ole Smoky is bringing us Live Music from the Po’ Ramblin’ Boys starting at 8pm in the Loft Lounge check out more info here … and bring your friends!”
That’s all for today.
We’d REALLY LOVE IT…if you would:
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel < For great Video Notifications
Like Us on Facebook! < The Best Ski Resort News Around! If you LIKE us you will automatically be eligible to win free lift tickets and other giveaways that we do all season long!
If you want to drop me an email or comment, feel free. Your thoughts, trip reports, input, suggestions or general commentaries are welcome.
Email me your thoughts, comments or any news to [email protected]