Cataloochee opening day November 3rd

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
johnmelton
Beginner

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:36 am

I changed my destination mid route to Cat after Sugar failed. It was my first time at Cat and I really liked the resort. The snow was good and the open terrain had multiple aspects so even late in the afternoon there was a section that was still in the sun and soft. Coverage was excellent for the first day of the season. I would not want to drive up after a snow as the access road seemed steeper than at Beech. Other than that I was impressed overall, especially at the size of the mountain that Cat sits at the top of. I liked the steepness of the lift network and was able to get a ton of laps in a few hour with mostly no lift lines. The only other knock I would have against Cat is the lack of beginner terrain, but it looks like a great mountain for intermediates and above skill and the surrounding mountains are beautiful. It's too bad it is an extra hour plus drive for many of us. I hope I get back one day!

Aasnider
Beginner

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:27 am

And the 10000 GNAR points goes to... johnmelton! Bonus points for the trip report.
swamphox
Advanced

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Great job man. Was unable to get up there. Hope u had fun
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 18-19
App 2
Cat 3
marzski
Advanced

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 am

A TR with pics to start the season . . . way to go!

Good to know you had a good time. I'm hoping to make it to Cat for a first look during the swap weekend Dec. 7-8. Having a reason to be in Asheville makes the added drive from the Triangle a lot less of an issue. Especially with an Indy Pass.
2019-20: Bryce. Plans: Cataloochee, Massanutten; Taos, SLC using Ikon, Steamboat, Alta in April
killglobalwarmingnow
Advanced

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks for posting! I have made a Cat opening day in October years ago. (With Noobborderjames in fact). Cat got mentiones on The Snow Report with Halley OBrien, pretty cool national recognition!
dj
Advanced

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 pm

johnmelton wrote:I would not want to drive up after a snow as the access road seemed steeper than at Beech.
Thanks for the great report! I wish I could have made it but I was on the way to Raleigh for a conference.

Cataloochee has an arrangement with NCDOT that allows Cataloochee to keep Fie Top road plowed. It's often the clearest road in the County even after a big snow. I've been up it when US 19 through Maggie Valley hadn't been plowed and Fie Top was clear white line to white line.

The Meadows are a real treat after a big storm.

dj

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

johnmelton
Beginner

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:30 pm

dj wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 pm
johnmelton wrote:I would not want to drive up after a snow as the access road seemed steeper than at Beech.
The Meadows are a real treat after a big storm.

dj
How about the terrain on the other side of the resort, towards the NE from the top or a little lower?
dj
Advanced

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:35 am

johnmelton wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:30 pm

How about the terrain on the other side of the resort, towards the NE from the top or a little lower?
I'm not sure I understand where you mean. The wooded area to skiers right from Upper Omigosh? Or the open bald above the parking area (Hemphill Bald)?

I've never seen anyone try either. I guess Hemphill Bald could be skiable under the right conditions, but it is Cataloochee Ranch (not the same ownership) property and would probably be a trespassing issue.