The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Recommendations for Salt Lake City area

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
dj
Advanced

I am working on a trip to the Salt Lake City area for early February. My preference would be to stay in the SLC/Midvale area to stretch my Hilton points as far as possible. I've never skied in Utah - so, suggestions for which resorts I should target?

I not looking for the steepest terrain. I've skied Loveland, A-basin, Vail, one evening at Keystone and Whistler-Blackcomb and typically have the most fun on groomed blacks and steep blues. I've never had much opportunity to ski fresh powder and will plan to take a powder lesson if it snows much while I'm there.

Park CIty is an obvious choice, but the bus service from SLC is somewhat limited - looks like 2 runs to PC in the morning and 2 returning to SLC in the late afternoon. Staying in Park City would burn all my hotel points in just a few nights and I'm planning to stay a week.

I'm trying to decide which resorts on the UTA Ski Bus routes in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon would be the best fit for me. That is, Alta, Brighton, Snowbird and/or Solitude. Snowbasin, Powder Mountain and Sundance are also on other Ski Bus routes.

From what I can see, the ski bus routes start from just a couple of park and ride lots and I can't get to all resorts from all starting lots. I'm trying to pick a hotel close to a starting point so I can easily walk to the bus and still hit two or three different resorts. Any suggestions from people who have done that are very much appreciated.

Thanks!
dj
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

I'm a HUGE fan of Solitude and Brighton. I'm going there in January or February myself. Both have a great mixture of terrain and are probably less crowded than Alta and Snowbird. I've been to Snowbird on an 18" day and seen it tracked out after 2 runs which was nuts.
WOOOOOO!

jt3
Intermediate

I'd throw in taking a look at Powder Mountain. You also have Snowbasin up that way. Hilton properties in Ogden, not Eden though. Less crowds at PowMow if that appeals to you.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

A couple years ago I stayed downtown SLC at a Hilton Garden Inn. I think the bus stop was less than a block away. The SLC ski bus takes you right to the ticket window of Alta and Snowbird. I prefer Snowbird as they had better steep blue groomers and the blacks weren't as difficult. I am more of a steep blue, easier black skier. I went to Snowbird 2 days and Alta 1 day and there was plenty of great terrain in early February.
marzski
Advanced

How much are you willing to pay for a lift ticket? Planning to ski on weekends? This season day tickets will be scarce and there won't be discounts.

Solitude and Brighton seem like a good fit. Solitude has a few really steep groomers. Brighton usually has night skiing, but don't know what kind of schedule there will be this winter.

Alta remains my favorite, starting from years ago when I was an intermediate sticking to groomers. It's really not just for experts and powder hounds. Especially with the high speed quad for the Supreme blues. Those are still some of my favorite trails even though now I'm good enough to enjoy hiking for turns in Catherine's or heading into Supreme Bowl when there is soft deep powder.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
dj
Advanced

Thanks for all the recommendations. After reading more about Deer Valley, I decided to stay in Park City at the Doubletree (The Yarrow) and ski 3 days each at Park City and then Deer Valley. Booked it yesterday and didn't have any problems reserving the days I want at each resort.

Anybody else going to be in the area Feb 2-9?

dj
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

dj wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 pm Thanks for all the recommendations. After reading more about Deer Valley, I decided to stay in Park City at the Doubletree (The Yarrow) and ski 3 days each at Park City and then Deer Valley. Booked it yesterday and didn't have any problems reserving the days I want at each resort.

dj
That is a good choice. I think those resorts are as much fun or more than Snowbird. Deer Valley is first class everything. Park City is massive with tons of terrain options. I was there this past February and had a great time. We didn't get any big snowstorms, but still had great conditions. Enjoy!
marzski
Advanced

dj wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 pm Thanks for all the recommendations. After reading more about Deer Valley, I decided to stay in Park City at the Doubletree (The Yarrow) and ski 3 days each at Park City and then Deer Valley. Booked it yesterday and didn't have any problems reserving the days I want at each resort.

dj
If Deer Valley is doing free mountain tours, that could be worthwhile. Normally have two versions, one on more mellow terrain. Figuring out how to get between the different sections can take a while.

Usually have free demos by Rossignol at a Yurt mid-mountain if that's of interest.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
safeTmanEd
Beginner

dj

I'm sure you already know this but just in case...Deer Valley is for skiers only!
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
dj
Advanced

Thanks for the follow-up input.

The mountain tour definitely sounds like a good thing. The first time I went to Vail for a single day (after a couple of days at Loveland and A-Basin in each) we didn't have any clue what was where and how get around. The second time we stayed with a guy that lives there all winter and he knew exactly where to take us for the best snow and our abilities. Made the week really awesome.

Yeah, Deer Valley being ski only is kind of one of the reasons I want to try it out.

I'll probably skip the demos, I'll be on some nearly new Head Kore 93's that I really like. I definitely don't want to get the bug for something else new [emoji16]

dj

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk