The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Good Enough Forecast?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Aasnider
Beginner

Looks like some decent cold for a few days in NW NC with temps down in the 20s for several nights coming up this week. Will anyone give it a go this round or will the milder temps in the long range forecast keep them at bay until the next cold blast?
brigand
Beginner

My hope is that the potential income made over Thanksgiving is enough that someone will make as much snow as they can on Monday and Tuesday. I really, really hope so.
brigand
Beginner

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:44 pm That doesn't look like it makes much sense based on the 10 day outlook.
I agree.... That's why I am crossing my fingers and hoping. Logically, I don't seeing being on the slopes before Thanksgiving, which really sucks.
Ga Skier
Intermediate
Tagline: Days on Snow...... Never Enough

I probably sound like debbie downer but up here in my section of these mountains Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights woul be definitely cold enough but day time highs for the next two weeks are all up in the 60s and some more low 70s.All Thanksgiving week its going to be the same except the nights are hanging in the 40s.Lets all hope something changes. My skis are getting antsy
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

Sugar has their lights turned on the slopes. Currently 38 at the base, but dropping quick. They are going to try as I would expect them to do.
brigand
Beginner

If it's gonna happen it's gonna be Wednesday. It's by no means a guarantee, but I take this as a sign there's a shot for Wednesday. Cat is blowing snow, too. I might be desperate enough to drive 4 hours there for just Lower Omigosh, truth be told :)
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

I think Cat can get open as they open such a small amount of the mountain. Sugar may have trouble laying enough snow on the bottom as they don't have a lot of snowmaking hours over the next few nights. I will be interested if the short windows will allow App to get open. They can make a lot of snow quick if they get the low enough temps. I doubt Beech will open as they are picky about temps needed to make snow and they like to open with a good base, which I don't think is possible with this week's temps.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Sugar will open for 1 day just for bragging rights... kinda like season first chair riders. Damn i need to get my new skis set up
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
brigand
Beginner

Ah, the dilemma...

Sugar made snow the past 2 nights, but only at the top where the guns are still going as of 8a this morning. Not a speck of snow on the Base or Easy Street cams. But of course prime snowmaking temps start tonight for about 12 hours. Surely they wouldn't have left the guns on for 2 days for just a test?

Do I get up at 5a tomorrow and head to the mountains before daylight and a chance to see the webcams? Happened last year on Nov 3rd - guns were going top to bottom when I went to bed, so I committed, and the next morning I was in Greensboro headed to Boone when I could finally see the webcams and the feeble little patches of snow they made at the bottom. Not much to lose but time and gas money. Not like the Coronavirus hasn't left me with 35 unused vacation days....

Am I the only crazy person that is probably gonna risk a drive up in the morning on the hope that I actually ski before December?
johnmelton
Beginner

brigand wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:51 am Am I the only crazy person that is probably gonna risk a drive up in the morning on the hope that I actually ski before December?
Definitely not, I have made the trip from Wilmington under the same situation many times. Last year I had to divert to Cat because Sugar could not open. I am glad I did, I really enjoyed skiing Cat, even with just lower Omigosh open because the chairlift is fairly steep and you can get a decent amount of vertical in with no lift line.