The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

La Niña winter?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
jt3
Intermediate

If i read right, NOAA has announced we are moving into a La Niña winter weather pattern. Anyone recall what prior La Niña weather patterns have done for our mountains? I think a few have been quite productive....
swamphox
Expert

I know theyre typically good for Tahoe. It seems like theyve been a crapshoot for the SE though.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
Old Fart
Beginner

Outlook is for a cooler and drier Nov/Dec and a warmer and wetter Jan/Feb, deviations from averages.

So maybe a good early season at least? I don't know that the normal rules apply any more, I think we have entered a decade or more of wildly volatile climate conditions where we see winters that have wild temperature variations between freezing and mild throughout the entire winter. What that means for ski resorts is there will be a premium on building a good base to maintain through a week of 50-60's before you can make more snow to refresh things.

FYI, 1st paragraph is an industry forecast for the SE. 2nd paragraph is solely my non-scientific opinion. Hey if Donald Trump can broadcast his hunches, why can't I?
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

I believe that man!

NC weather has seemed to take quite the temperate change since 2012. No longer are 2 week cold spells the norm 4 to 5 times a season. The flowers bloom earlier. Plants survive longer into the fall. Whatever the reason for the shift in weather... the lack of ample natural snow of late Sucks
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"