The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

COVID19

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

We've all felt or read the impacts to our fav sport and in case you just don't get it yet I relay the following I received from an infectious disease doctor......

Best explanation I have read about the corona virus: Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.
davidski
Expert

Great breakdown, thanks for the details
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

With too much time on my hands, been catching up on readings I come to realize it's been about 30 days since Mike's "Strangest Season Ever...." first trax report. In particular, I reflect on this part....

Imagine the panic if we focused on every death from this past winter from the “regular flu” as 16,000 souls were lost to the flu this winter and more than 250,000 people were hospitalized…in the last 75-90 days. Seems that would have panicked more people. I’m not attempting to diminish loss of lives, but in the last 30 days, the Covid-19 virus as killed 106 people and infected 5800 or so known to have been diagnosed with it. Maybe we’re not being told something.

Today the US has 675,000 diagnosed and 34,000 deaths. And to think we're half-way through this, hopefully.

Stay safe and healthy.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

Spyder, since your post less then a week ago, the current number has jumped to 850,000 cases and 48,000 dead. It appears to be going like wildfire and not slowing down.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

This has to be the quietest I have ever seen this message board. Where is everyone??
jt3
Intermediate

Thanks for the food tip jeason. Do you ski or snowboard when you aren’t pitching coupon deals?
Old Fart
Beginner

spydeeTJB wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 pm With too much time on my hands, been catching up on readings I come to realize it's been about 30 days since Mike's "Strangest Season Ever...." first trax report. In particular, I reflect on this part....

Imagine the panic if we focused on every death from this past winter from the “regular flu” as 16,000 souls were lost to the flu this winter and more than 250,000 people were hospitalized…in the last 75-90 days. Seems that would have panicked more people. I’m not attempting to diminish loss of lives, but in the last 30 days, the Covid-19 virus as killed 106 people and infected 5800 or so known to have been diagnosed with it. Maybe we’re not being told something.

Today the US has 675,000 diagnosed and 34,000 deaths. And to think we're half-way through this, hopefully.

Stay safe and healthy.
4 months later and the US is at 5.6 million diagnosed and 174 thousand deaths.

And no real end in sight.
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

As of August 22, there were 161,392 death certificates that listed COVID-19 as a cause of death.

In 6% of the death certificates that list COVID-19, only one cause or condition is listed.

In 94% of deaths with COVID-19, other conditions are listed in addition to COVID-19. These causes may include chronic conditions like diabetes or hypertension.

just saying.
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
swamphox
Expert

ROYMERCER wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 pm As of August 22, there were 161,392 death certificates that listed COVID-19 as a cause of death.

In 6% of the death certificates that list COVID-19, only one cause or condition is listed.

In 94% of deaths with COVID-19, other conditions are listed in addition to COVID-19. These causes may include chronic conditions like diabetes or hypertension.

just saying.
I fear it'd be taken more seriously by the populace if it'd been less politicized. My mom for example: hx of pe, cancer, asthma and 74 yrs old...would most likely die. Me not so much. Why not just tell vulnerable populations to shelter in place?

Why does the guidance seem to unceasingly change? that kind of errodes public confidence as well....as in why would you give people bad advice for x amount of months?

finally, folks need to live their lives. Why not have a measurable endgame with quantifiable goals. Otherwise is there anything to look forward to? How is not living due to obedience different from not living due to disease if there is no end in sight?
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3