The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Wolf Ridge

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
almost good
Beginner

Like most people on this board I really like Wolf but haven't skied there much because they don't very often get a lot of their trails open and the snow making and grooming can be a little sketchy (or so I thought). In the 18 or 19 years I've been skiing in NC I only skied Wolf maybe a dozen times. Until this year. It turns out that when you are 65 or older you can ski at wolf for free. FREE! My girlfriend and I are both 65 (or older) and Wolf is only about 45-50 minutes from my house. We have skied there 20 times so far this year, and I really like the place. They didn't get open to the top till the end of January and there is only 1 way down from the top--Viewfinder to Midway to Eagle to Broadway, but it is a really nice run. The snow making and grooming have actually been consistently quite good, and the people that work there are really nice. And there is never a lift line, even on weekends. We can ski weekdays too and it's pretty empty then. I know that if you are spending money to ski you want to go where you will get the most open terrain etc. But Wolf, even with limited terrain open is a really nice place with a nice laid back, friendly, homey feel. I'm sure that they will close soon, I'm pretty sure they are done with snow making for the year, and we will ski at Beech and Sugar for the rest of the season. (Beech offers a pretty good discount for over 65). I'll try to post some pictures in a separate post. It seems to be easier to post pics directly from my phone.
almost good
Beginner

almost good
Beginner

The 5th one is a picture of White Lightning that got in there by mistake
pagamony
Advanced

Thanks man. Nice to see pictures from our forgotten hill. only 9 more years for me..... :)
almost good
Beginner

They are still using some of those old old home made snow guns
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Always been intrigued by Wolf. I’ve never been there but have been tempted a few times. I’ve been told when it snows that it is awesome.
WOOOOOO!

brigand
Beginner

Made the trip up last year after putting it off for several years waiting for them to be fully open (which they still werent.) The terrain there is not bad - I feel like theres a decent amount of relief in the trails, though a bit smaller than Beech or Cat. I think it's worth at least one visit for anybody taking the time to read this post, but only if they are near 100%, which hasn't happened in a while.
almost good
Beginner

I think the 2016-2017 season was the last time they had most of their runs open.
J.C.
Tagline: Forever an intermediate!

Thank you for the pictures! I haven't been there in a few years. Wolf has so much potential, but like everything else it takes money. It seemed every time I've been there were only a few trails open. I'll have to check it out when the entire mountain is open.
Snow Gaper
Tagline: Snowboarding and Skiing News https://snowgaper.com/

Yeah, I like the Wolf. It inspired me to write a review over at Snow Gaper here: https://snowgaper.com/wolf-ridge-ski-resort/

All the best,
Frank
Keep up to date with the latest Snowboarding and Skiing News, Tips, Travel, Fun and more.... https://snowgaper.com/