The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

MLK DAY 2020 1/20/2020

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

killglobalwarmingnow wrote:This year MLK Day falls on January 20, 2020. Should be a good day to ski, but probably crowded.
Quite a hot take there.
WOOOOOO!

brigand
Beginner

I can't imagine anyone invested enough in skiing/riding to actually post here would ski on MLK day. Pretty sure it's hands down the worst day of the season :) 20 min lift lines? No thanks.
safeTmanEd
Beginner

brigand wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:13 am I can't imagine anyone invested enough in skiing/riding to actually post here would ski on MLK day. Pretty sure it's hands down the worst day of the season :) 20 min lift lines? No thanks.
I never do! Actually, I usually avoid weekends too. I would rather take the day off work during the week then wait in those lines. Did you see the ballhooter line this morning??
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
brigand
Beginner

safeTmanEd wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:14 am
brigand wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:13 am I can't imagine anyone invested enough in skiing/riding to actually post here would ski on MLK day. Pretty sure it's hands down the worst day of the season :) 20 min lift lines? No thanks.
I never do! Actually, I usually avoid weekends too. I would rather take the day off work during the week then wait in those lines. Did you see the ballhooter line this morning??
I did, it was awful :( Even the line at the Checkerberry at Wintergreen was awful and they have like 3 trails open.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:34 pm
theKENDOG wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 pm
killglobalwarmingnow wrote:This year MLK Day falls on January 20, 2020. Should be a good day to ski, but probably crowded.
Quite a hot take there.
Well here is an honest take... The southern ski resorts should raise holiday prices significantly and stop selling tickets at a safe and fun capacity... rather than allowing for a completely ridiculous unsafe and crowded s*** show.
Or they could make some snow, get more slopes open, and spread out the crowds. It wouldn't be so bad if people had some space to ski. This has to be one of the worst MLK weekends for open ski trails.
brigand
Beginner

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:41 am
killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:34 pm
theKENDOG wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:06 pm

Quite a hot take there.
Well here is an honest take... The southern ski resorts should raise holiday prices significantly and stop selling tickets at a safe and fun capacity... rather than allowing for a completely ridiculous unsafe and crowded s*** show.
Or they could make some snow, get more slopes open, and spread out the crowds. It wouldn't be so bad if people had some space to ski. This has to be one of the worst MLK weekends for open ski trails.
Not a single new trail open.
Old Fart
Beginner

Skiied at Cat yesterday, it didn't really get crowded until about 10:30; turned into a clusteriffic sheetshowabout 1130, only bought a half day ticket so we braved the crowds for two more runs and left at 10 til 12. They were parking people at the Ranch when we left.
deere25
Beginner

Y’all are complaining about no new trails open when you should be thankful any are open at all. Anyone already forgotten how warm it has been and what the slopes looked like as recent as Thursday? Good grief, have some gratitude we can ski at all in the south. Next complaint on deck - “they’re making snow all day when they should shut the guns off while I’m there”!
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Cat was pretty fun yesterday (Monday). No lines at all.

WOOOOOO!

carolinacub
Beginner
Tagline: Yes I am a Cubs fan

actually had a woman in her faux fur jacket and spangled gloves put her hands on her hips come up and yell at me while I was standing by the patrol room and ask when I was shutting off the machines. My reply....hopefully Thursday.