The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Perfect North is open....

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
safeTmanEd
Beginner

…..with 14 trails open already this season! They are rocking it!
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
outdoor wood
Intermediate

I am impressed with the factual and honest Audio Snow Report on the PN website... https://www.perfectnorth.com/
marzski
Advanced

Three live webcams for the ski slopes, plus one for tubing. Will fit right in with SkiSE locations.

I have vague memories of someone in TN talking about driving up to IN to ski at Perfect North. At least ten years ago, maybe a little longer. Never knew that it's been around for so long. Reading the timeline for the past 40 years is impressive.

https://www.perfectnorth.com/Timeline/

Looking forward to see what the Perfect family can do for Timberline in the next few years.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Old Fart
Beginner

The Terrain Park manager at Perfect North a few years ago was from Ober Gatlinburg. He had great things to say about the area and its management. Wish I had gotten up there while he was there. He moved on to become Director of Skiing Operations at a resort outside of St. Louis.
swamphox
Expert

marzski wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:02 pm Three live webcams for the ski slopes, plus one for tubing. Will fit right in with SkiSE locations.

I have vague memories of someone in TN talking about driving up to IN to ski at Perfect North. At least ten years ago, maybe a little longer. Never knew that it's been around for so long. Reading the timeline for the past 40 years is impressive.

Looking forward to see what the Perfect family can do for Timberline in the next few years.
I know stealthborder went and posted a tr
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
marzski
Advanced

swamphox wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:05 am I know stealthborder went and posted a tr
Good memory. I didn't find that TR, but found this one by Droogie from 2013.

ohioskier made a few comments. Assuming it's the same person, there are comments from him about Perfect North on another ski forum thread that's all about what's been going on at Timberline.

viewtopic.php?f=116509&t=130953
"My tour of the 300-400 foot berms around Columbus continued Sunday. I made the 1:50 drive down to Perfect North Slopes Indiana. With 400 feet of vertical this is the "biggest" place within 3.5 hours of Columbus. It is also further south and only gets like 18 inches of natural snow a year, but seems to make up for that with tons of snowmaking capacity. After 2-3 inches of warm rain earlier in the week it became quite cold and they had blasted the slopes with manmade and received 3-4 inches of natural snow the past two days before I arrived. Perfect North is WAAAAAAY better than Snow Trails or Clear Fork an hour from Columbus. There are several really fun runs with some good bump lines where you had to actually watch what you are doing. I would say they have 3 runs pretty much on par with the steep part of Mogul Ridge at Ober in terms of pitch and length, but two of them are gladed, adding some extra fun. I'll definitely come back here and may consider driving the extra 50 minutes and getting a once-a-week pass here next season over Snow Trails if they have a good spring pass sale.
. . ."
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
safeTmanEd
Beginner

marzski wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:02 pm Three live webcams for the ski slopes, plus one for tubing. Will fit right in with SkiSE locations.

That was probably me! I'm from Cincinnati, so when visiting family in the winter I usually hit PN once or twice a year! I've posted trip reports from there before. Last year I rescued from the chairlift up there! Motor burned out so we all had to come down a rope! Interesting experience!!
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." -- Einstein
marzski
Advanced

safeTmanEd wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:02 am That was probably me! I'm from Cincinnati, so when visiting family in the winter I usually hit PN once or twice a year! I've posted trip reports from there before. Last year I rescued from the chairlift up there! Motor burned out so we all had to come down a rope! Interesting experience!!
Rope rescue sounds fun if it wasn't frigid during the wait. At least for people who aren't afraid of heights. How long did before everyone was off the lift?
safeTmanEd
Beginner

marzski wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 pm
safeTmanEd wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:02 am That was probably me! I'm from Cincinnati, so when visiting family in the winter I usually hit PN once or twice a year! I've posted trip reports from there before. Last year I rescued from the chairlift up there! Motor burned out so we all had to come down a rope! Interesting experience!!
Rope rescue sounds fun if it wasn't frigid during the wait. At least for people who aren't afraid of heights. How long did before everyone was off the lift?

It took them about an hour to get everyone off. They really did a great job. The guy on the chair next to me was freaking out...was really funny to see his reaction. Of course, I was helping him by saying that they only drop about 30% of the people, so the odds were in his favor!!

We were the second or third chair to come down and they had 3 crews bringing us down. Really interesting experience!