The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Backcountry.com predatory practices

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
porter
Advanced

I've been a backcountry.com customer for years and bought a huge amount of gear form them -- probably a lot of yall have, too. Boy, do I regret it now.

https://coloradosun.com/2019/10/31/back ... -business/
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

I read that article too on reddit. Glad I never bought anything from them. How in the world can you trademark the word backcountry?
WOOOOOO!

davidski
Expert

true

this is serious, grassroots need to make them pay, obviously I will never buy from them again (and I have before, so they are losing an actual customer) but they should be called out across all available platforms

Also:
"Last year Backcountry.com announced it was joining venerable outdoor manufacturers Flylow, Black Diamond, Smartwool and skimaker DPS to launch its first-ever namesake lifestyle and backcountry ski touring collections. The new products carry the company’s signature white mountain goat."

I love DPS but...
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Glad everybody feels the same because I'm launching a new business "SkiSoutheast Backcountry Tours".
JoshuaMcDaniel
Beginner

This was posted on a rock climbing forum page too. I hadn't purchased anything from Backcountry.com in quite awhile until earlier this summer. I won't even consider checking their site again.
marzski
Advanced

Latest news is a written statement from the CEO. Bottom line is that the suit against Marquette is being dropped.

This 11/6 article includes background about Backcountry as a company, as well as the complete statement. The decision to start protecting the trademark from 2007 came in 2017 as Backcountry started working towards having house-branded stuff. Note that REI is a major competitor that has REI-labeled gear, luggage, clothing, etc.

https://www.snewsnet.com/gear/backcount ... ark-blowup
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

marzski wrote:Latest news is a written statement from the CEO. Bottom line is that the suit against Marquette is being dropped.

This 11/6 article includes background about Backcountry as a company, as well as the complete statement. The decision to start protecting the trademark from 2007 came in 2017 as Backcountry started working towards having house-branded stuff. Note that REI is a major competitor that has REI-labeled gear, luggage, clothing, etc.

So they dropped a single lawsuit and expect everyone to forgive em?
WOOOOOO!

marzski
Advanced

theKENDOG wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:14 am So they dropped a single lawsuit and expect everyone to forgive em?
The lawsuit being dropped was against a small company that decided to fight instead of rolling over like others did in the last year. Clearly CEO is trying to do damage control. Doubt it will help in the short run. In the long run . . .

What's complicating the situation for some people is that TSG owns a lot more than just Backcountry.com . PBR, Planet Fitness, Vitamin Water, the list is pretty long if someone wants to boycott the parent company and not just Backcountry and it's other retail outlets for outdoor activities like cycling.

http://www.tsgconsumer.com/portfolio

I have bought very little from Backcountry.com or Steep&Cheap, and nothing in the last 4-5 years. So don't really make much difference to me.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
porter
Advanced

marzski wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 pm Latest news is a written statement from the CEO. Bottom line is that the suit against Marquette is being dropped.

That was one of the worst corporate mea culpas in a long time. I think that since then they have walked their actions back further, but for the CEO to say, We didn't see this coming, I mean, come on.
marzski
Advanced

porter wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 am That was one of the worst corporate mea culpas in a long time. I think that since then they have walked their actions back further, but for the CEO to say, We didn't see this coming, I mean, come on.
Yep, the legal stuff started around two years ago when the trademark coverage was expanded. At some point, you would think the CEO would have seen the list of companies being uncooperative to the point of requiring more money being paid to the legal firm.

Here's a commentary about what's been happening related to the Backcountry trademark by the CEO of Icelantic Skis. She's been with the company since it was founded in 2005, soon after it opened, and became CEO in 2013. Icelantic has an ongoing business relationship with Backcountry.com .

Nov. 7, 2019, The Colorado Sun, by Annelise Loevlie
https://coloradosun.com/2019/11/07/back ... l-opinion/