The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

NC Season starts this Sunday or Monday?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
johnmelton
Beginner

Weather report looks favorable, snow guns are being put in place on the slopes, as long as the weather forecast holds I think we may be on the slopes next week in NC!
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Temps at night look marginal with highs in the 40's during the day. I don't see it happening.
WOOOOOO!

deere25
Beginner

You can bet good money that Sugar will fire up the guns. Cue the how I can run Sugar Mtn better comments in 3, 2, 1,.......
brigand
Beginner

I suspect they may open a day or 2 just to be able to say 'first'. Makes me wonder if there's some financial advantage to doing so. Certainly they can't make that much money on opening day relative to the cost of making snow that will be gone inside a week. But not gonna lie, they will get my $$ if they open this weekend, even briefly.
marzski
Advanced

brigand wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:15 pm I suspect they may open a day or 2 just to be able to say 'first'. Makes me wonder if there's some financial advantage to doing so. Certainly they can't make that much money on opening day relative to the cost of making snow that will be gone inside a week. But not gonna lie, they will get my $$ if they open this weekend, even briefly.
Free advertising in the form of news articles or a buzz on ski forums or social media . . . can pay off in the long run. How many folks do you think are aware that skiing in NC can happen in November? Especially those who moved in relatively recently.

Seems to work in Colorado with the friendly competition between Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, and Loveland. Keystone was planning to open on Sat morning. First time in years that Keystone was opening that early. A-Basin opted to open for a couple hours on Fri afternoon, so they got to big first. Apparently way back when, there was at least one season when Keystone turned on the lights in order to be open at night as the first-to-open.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
johnmelton
Beginner

I would think an early opening does have an effect on season pass and real estate sales. I know if I was in the market for either I would be taking a hard look at historical opening and closing dates.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

johnmelton wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:14 pm I would think an early opening does have an effect on season pass and real estate sales. I know if I was in the market for either I would be taking a hard look at historical opening and closing dates.
Unfortunately for Sugar, they don't have the nice town feel or slopeside house opportunities like Beech. This is why I bought on Beech. As for better terrain, longer season, and Gunther's gutsy business sense, Sugar is much better.
Aasnider
Beginner

Just checked the forecast and headed here to see if anyone had posted! I would think Gunther will make run at it this weekend if highs stay in mid 30s and lows are in the low 20s like I just saw forecasted. Time will tell. If they do happen to opened up I hope they can keep a steady weather pattern that allows them to be open on the weekend of the 9th since we will be in the area. First chair of the N.C. season (by a non employee/ owner) has to worth at least 10000 GNAR points.
swamphox
Expert

Aasnider wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:17 pm Just checked the forecast and headed here to see if anyone had posted! I would think Gunther will make run at it this weekend if highs stay in mid 30s and lows are in the low 20s like I just saw forecasted. Time will tell. If they do happen to opened up I hope they can keep a steady weather pattern that allows them to be open on the weekend of the 9th since we will be in the area. First chair of the N.C. season (by a non employee/ owner) has to worth at least 10000 GNAR points.
Challenge accepted. Not only will my kid and I try for that but we will also try and get a "call your mom" and potentially a "cook brekkie" on this date as it will take some good early am effort to get there.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
Aasnider
Beginner

swamphox wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:18 pm Challenge accepted. Not only will my kid and I try for that but we will also try and get a "call your mom" and potentially a "cook brekkie" on this date as it will take some good early am effort to get there.
Pics or it didn't happen! Gonna hand out 5 red bulls in the lift line too?