The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Bill Rock moving from Park City to exec job at VR headquarters

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
marzski
Advanced

For those who remember Bill Rock when he was in charge of Snowshoe, he's moving up in the Vail Resorts organizational chart. Has been in charge of Park City for five years, after a few years at Northstar. Will be moving to VR headquarters in CO this month as Senior VP for the Mountain Division, which means overseeing resorts in Colorado and Utah.

https://www.kpcw.org/post/park-city-mou ... s#stream/0

Mike Goar is returning to be COO of Park City. He was GM of Canyons before VR moved into Utah. Goar has moved around as COO of other VR resorts in recent years.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
johnmelton
Beginner

Sorry he left Northstar. Vail Resorts/Northstar made a poorly timed announcement last week that they would be charging most everyone $10 weekdays, $20 weekends, for almost all the winter public parking from now on. The week before most everyone had bought there non-refundable season pass or there credit card was charged for the rest of the season pass cost - their deposit in the Spring.
bamapilot
Expert

VR is severely over charging for their resorts in CO. $169 for a day lift pass is just stupid. There are other mountains in CO that charge $60 a day for the same snow. I will keep my money there, and because they are less commercial, means less crowd.
marzski
Advanced

bamapilot wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:51 pm VR is severely over charging for their resorts in CO. $169 for a day lift pass is just stupid. There are other mountains in CO that charge $60 a day for the same snow. I will keep my money there, and because they are less commercial, means less crowd.
The business model for VR is to encourage people to commit to an Epic Pass well before the snow flies. Whether or not that makes sense depends on if someone insists on skiing VR destination resorts for $100+ per day. Locals in CO can get regional passes, so don't have to go with Epic Local.

Apparently VR sold around 1 million Epic pass for 2018-19.

Certainly don't have to ski VR resorts. I haven't yet and have had plenty of fun out west. But then I don't like to fly into Denver any way.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.