The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Cat ski swap

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
brigand
Beginner

Yeah, I know we're 3 months out. Cut me some slack... it's been the better part of 6 months since I was on the snow and I'm already getting unreasonably stoked about the approaching ski season.

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has been to the annual Cataloochee ski swap? I live in Cary, so I usually only hit Cat once a year, given the 4+ hour drive, and I wold prefer to wait until everything is open to make the 9 hours round trip worth it. The ski swap is so early in the season Cat is only half open - hate to drive up there for a couple of beginner slope if the ski swap sucks.

Is it worth it? Is there generally a lot of people participating, or is it 2 picnic tables with some 15 year old skis and 80s era onesies? Are there any vendors involved?

Thanks!
marzski
Advanced

From the Triangle, I'm more inclined to go check out the App Swap and Sale. Paying more attention to Cat though since my daughter just started at UNCA. Think I may get the Indy Pass since that covers 2 days at Cat since I can also use it at Massanutten. Might even make it to Canaan Valley for a day trip from Mnut.

Wintergreen has a ski swap on Black Friday. It benefits the Wintergreen ski patrol. Never been though.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
brigand
Beginner

I would definitely prefer Wintergreen, but they aren't open in November, are they? I'll check out App's website, wasn't even aware they had one.

EDIT: Ugh, App's is in October. It would have to be pretty awesome to warrant a 6 hour round trip.
marzski
Advanced

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:40 pm I have never been to a swap... can you really find good deals on gear or fair trades?
It's possible but have to arrive early. I made the trek to a swap in Annapolis for my daughter's first set of gear over 10 years ago. Stayed with a friend who lived near there. We arrived 30 min before the official opening time. Left about an hour later with boots, skis, and poles for something like $110. All in very good shape and she used them for a couple seasons, maybe 12 days each. I think I got some store credit from C&R on the boots.

It's like any flea market type sale. Have to be a little lucky.

If you know what you like, shopping online during the summer can turn up bargains that are just as good for skis. I have a friend who lives in Boston who routinely looks for deals on craigslist by people who have no idea about the value of what they are selling. She usually makes enough money re-selling stuff to pay for her season pass. Mostly stuff good for beginners or intermediates though.
Last edited by marzski on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

brigand wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:15 pm I would definitely prefer Wintergreen, but they aren't open in November, are they? I'll check out App's website, wasn't even aware they had one.

EDIT: Ugh, App's is in October. It would have to be pretty awesome to warrant a 6 hour round trip.
Wintergreen will try to be open by Thanksgiving. But going to the swap is really a separate trip and not about skiing.

Freestyle in Charlottesville usually has a swap and sale in early Nov. I stopped by one year on the way to DC for something else. Had some good deals.

Even up in New England, the ski swaps happen in the fall long before snowmaking starts.