The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

If you had 3 days to ski and board where would you go?

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

I'm planning a weekend for early January, trying to decide where to go. Going with a few friends, we are skiing and boarding for 3 days. Where would you go? We are flexible and can go to a couple of resorts over the 3 days. I have went to a few near SLC using the bus and went to Vail, Breck, Keystone, Arapahoe before as well. May do a repeat of these or may try something new. There are lots of good choices from the northeast to northwest, just trying to narrow down my choices. I don't want to spend a lot of time driving once we get off the plane and also looking for an area with good restaurants and some nightlife. Any suggestions?
marzski
Advanced

How early in January? Three days on the slopes, plus travel days before and after? Or three days total? Looking for relatively inexpensive plane ticket and lodging?

Don't see too much point to fly to the northeast. The chance of getting lucky with snow conditions is too low, especially in early Jan. Getting to the northwest is not worth the extra travel time flying over the Rockies. Makes some sense in late season (April-May) for Bachelor and Timberline, but not during early season.

If money isn't an issue, consider Big Sky. But a little iffy that early in the season in terms of snow coverage. Although there are rocks all over Big Sky even during mid-season.

Flying to SLC probably provides the most potential. But better if it's possible to get tickets from Southwest so that the trip could be cancelled or re-scheduled if it doesn't snow much in by mid-Dec.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
jt3
Intermediate

Jackson/Targhee get my vote!!
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

We would fly in on Thursday, ski/board on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and fly back Monday. Maybe push a day ahead and fly in on Wednesday. Flight, lodging, ticket prices don't matter. Probably planning the trip for around the 15th to 25th of January.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Stowe and Smugs. Easy flights to BTV, easy drive, no altitude issues. Mad River & Sugarbush are add-on options.
marzski
Advanced

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 am We would fly in on Thursday, ski/board on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and fly back Monday. Maybe push a day ahead and fly in on Wednesday. Flight, lodging, ticket prices don't matter. Probably planning the trip for around the 15th to 25th of January.
So around MLK Day. If money were not a consideration, I'd fly to Bozeman to ski Bridger and Big Sky, or fly to ASE and ski Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands. Wouldn't have to worry about lift lines on a holiday weekend.

Lots of terrain at Aspen. No car needed because free bus system is very good. Lots of nightlife in town or at Snowmass. Expensive lodging though unless stay in Carbondale or Glenwood Springs, which makes more sense with a car. Can stay in Basalt and just take the bus.

Going to Big Sky it's much more convenient to have a car. Not as much going on in the evenings but there are some cool spots 15-20 from the Big Sky base. Also can get less expensive lodging in Meadow Village. Starting at Bridger is how I like to handle a Big Sky trip. Cheap lift ticket, 2000 areas of terrain from easy to expert. Bridger can get more fluffy snow than Big Sky at times.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
Wanakenatransplant
Beginner

It will be the weekend before or after MLK weekend. Definitely not traveling out west that weekend.
marzski
Advanced

Wanakenatransplant wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:55 am It will be the weekend before or after MLK weekend. Definitely not traveling out west that weekend.
Ah. The weekend before MLK is very early in terms of snow pack depth even out west. Weekend including 1/25 is better no matter where you decide to go.

Looking beyond the usual destinations, how about flying to Spokane? An hour drive to Schweitzer. A couple hours to Red Mountain. But need a passport for Red.

Let us know what you decide.
afrobigfoot
Expert

Cloudmont
I Ski
Beginner

Day 1 Alta
Day 2 Alta
Day 3 Alta

Unless you are a boarder