The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Avalanche in Breckenridge - 3/8/19

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
davidski
Expert

by the way, for accuracy in the two roof avalanches, three people were buried and were dug out, but only one died. One who did not die after a long burial had successfully created a "basketball" sized airpocket around his mouth.

To imagine how hard it is to move if buried in snow, think about when kids, or at times adults, bury each other to the neck, a popular picture, in a sand pit on the beach. that's what it's like if the snow has a chance to settle

In a deep avalanche it settles like clay, unlike sand it bonds... it scares the crap out of me when I think about it
Last edited by davidski on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SouthernShred

Terrible, scary stuff. Prayers for their families and also all the people involved in avalanche rescue. That has to be difficult, frantic work.

Obviously, not being in an avalanche is the best prevention, but what about a drone that follows you as you ski down, and always has your exact location ready to send to who ever is going to be diggin you out? And with AR maybe there's an app interface for the rescuers that overlays the location/direction in their camera phone. Or maybe the drone could even be used to scan the slope for avalanche dangers better somehow.

Ive done a few searches and seen that resorts and some others are using the drones for search and rescue and avalanche control, but if you have your own drone that already knows where you're at maybe it could take the search part out of it. And if you don't get in an avalanche? The drone could take steezy video of your run. Play to everyones desire to capture their greatest run on video while also keeping them safer.

Take this with a grain of salt though as it's from someone that's never skied out of bounds (unless the Meadows at Cat counts) or even seen an actual avalanche beacon. I just hope theres something in the near future that makes it all safer.
davidski
Expert

I assume you are being facetious/cute

Experts having a clue would be great, prior to vibing and preaching at the rest of us.. expert halo seems far and away the highest risk factor

and sure Meadows counts as BC, Why not?
Tommers

That's some scary stuff indeed. I keep imagining the struggle. Glad two managed to survive.
davidski
Expert

Most people do have trancievers and are usually located but not always dug out in time, or went into terrain traps, rocks, trees etc. and die of trauma. Don't think the drone would help all that much. And hopefully they won't become a common vanity feature buzzing around in the backcountry.

What I meant about experts is that so many Accidents, Sheep Creek, Tunnel Creek, Now this Jones pass incident with Powder addiction snowcats and the death during an avalanche training course at Silverton this year.

So many examples of professionals and very high level experts making the very mistakes that we are warned against. Knowledge, complacency? its so frustrating.