The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Avalanche in Breckenridge - 3/8/19

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
boredtoo
Beginner

Spent a long weekend (3/6 to 3/9) skiing some of the best snow I've ever had at Breck. Great times, but we had an inbounds avalanche from terrain accessed from the Imperial lift traversing to the Whale's Tail area. Fortunately I was far enough away to miss it (but I did hear it), and no one was hurt. First hand account is here:

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/a-hell ... ki-resort/
davidski
Expert

The whole situation is dire, the breckenridge incident is unusual because it was inbounds. Although Breck opened terrain when neighboring Copper did not and Breck slid immediately. More and more deaths in this avalanche cycle. The Jones pass incident is most discussed but in the last two days three people have died in officially designated roof avalanches, yes that is the actual designation on the Colorado Avalanche Information site, two homeowners and one property management worker, have been buried and died in "roof avalanches"

This is an insane cycle. The employee? freelance photographer? for Powder Addiction snowcat operation died at Jones pass. There is a lot of controversy/questions associated with that. I have skied the Berthoud Pass region right by there, it scares the s*** out of me that so many trees have slid

But just like Sheep creek by Loveland, and I was there that week and NEVER would have gone in lock step where those "experts" chose to go, and like the Tunnel Creek deadly shitshow and now this PA snowcat operation,

WHAT THE f*** is wrong with these EXPERTS?

By the way when I was just at Wolf Creek all talk was about tree wells and deep snow suffocation, everyone had a chilling story (even as we were heading into it, I guess)
davidski
Expert

what is going on in Colorado right now is not epic, its epochal

The sheep creek avalanche was a d3, r3, it buried and killed 5 people

there have been been at least a dozen d4-5 in one week (destructive force, 5 is the highest)
davidski
Expert

boredtoo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:21 pm Spent a long weekend (3/6 to 3/9) skiing some of the best snow I've ever had at Breck. Great times, but we had an inbounds avalanche from terrain accessed from the Imperial lift traversing to the Whale's Tail area. Fortunately I was far enough away to miss it (but I did hear it), and no one was hurt. First hand account is here:

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/a-hell ... ki-resort/
Sorry for ranting, I bet it was awesome. I saw pictures from A-basin once people were able to get there after CDOT finished their work and it looked amazing
boredtoo
Beginner

Rant away.. I agree with everything you said. It was a great time for me, but I saw many people in parts of the resort where I did not think it was safe for them to be. I personally helped dig out 3 people who got stuck in deep snow.
davidski
Expert

I went upside down at Purgatory and breathed in a mouthful, it was a sense of complete fear and panic for the several seconds before I cleared my face --- in the course of getting out I was left in about a four foot crater and out of curiosity I checked to see how far I could push my ski into the snow beneath me -- all 180 cm with little effort.

At Wolf I tag along with some locals which allowed me to get deep into untracked trees -- at one point I felt I was coming in to hot toward a tree well so I put on the brakes and when I slowed I gently settled into the snow to above my waist fortunately terrain was steep so it was easy to get moving again

As far as Avelanches and the scale of these recent ones -- this is a massive brand new slide path on peak 1 a new andmark visible from frisco .. people are deciding what they should name it

Insane arial view of hwy 550 at redmountain pass 60 feet of snow on large stretches of the road

boredtoo
Beginner

My driver to the airport pointed out that Frisco avalanche on my way out of Breck. It was huge.
wilks
Beginner

I was in summit county 2/22 - 2/25 and it was starting to stack up. Insane what has happened in the past couple weeks.
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

dj
Advanced

Amazing!

I'm glad we left on Feb 28 and drove back to Denver a day early.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk