The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Bansko, Bulgaria 2/14/2019

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
Timski
Beginner

Bansko is a budget destination for Europeans. Lift ticket about $30.00. I'm here in Greece visiting family, and was 2.5 hours away so did a day trip yesterday. This weekend I'll be hitting the local mountains, even cheaper, lift tickets under $10.00. Bansko hosts the men's world cup next weekend. Preparation:
The surface is a very smooth carpet of frozen granular. I know because I skiid down the top half not realizing it was forbidden and had to take a short walk to get off the slope. I did not lose my ticket.
The stands can be seen in the following image:

The slopes were nicely, groomed, some moguls available, (although besides myself I didn't see anyone on them), some nice off-piste areas. Some parts closed due to Avalanche danger.

How can I add a video (from my Android phone)?
davidski
Expert

Awesome, what's the vertical, clearly skiing both above and below the timberline
Timski
Beginner

True vertical is about 3200 feet using two lifts. More practical for me was lapping either the top lift only or another lift servicing roughly 2800 ft. The longest run is 10.5 miles only doable once per day if you park in town and pay $15.00 for the gondola. Including that, they claim 5,300 ft vertical.
gamecock
Beginner

That's a cool looking area. Thanks for the report! Always fun to look at.
boredtoo
Beginner

Nice photos Timski. I've never made it to Bulgaria, but it's on my list to try if the opportunity arises.
pagamony
Advanced

wow. is that setting the record for remote / obscure trip reports here ?