The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Sugar Mtn

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
canadianbacon828
Beginner

Thanks deere25. You are right about the locals not wanting to work. We have college kids that never show up and people that have so many DUIs they have trouble finding rides to work. The irony is it's a direct reflection of the entitled mentality that I see on the forums. Short staffing is a huge problem for the tourism industry here. I am not sure about Sugar but at Beech they do a foreign exchange college program. They work with universities from South America and South Africa. All of the kids in the program that I talk to are hard working and very intelligent. Most of them speak English better than I do lol. They are always very helpful and respectful to my wife and I. That being said I have had nothing but positive interactions with the Sugar lift crew as well.
David H
Beginner

Was at Sugar yesterday (Beech Saturday)...best time to ski? During super bowl Sunday. Sugar was looking great yesterday regarding crowds etc. Had a great day.
Juice
Beginner

I’ve worked at 2 resorts in nc and they are not all ran the same. For the most part people don’t complain on here. Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion as long as you keep it respectful and I think everyone on here does.
davidski
Expert

I've been on this site for a while now too. I've said good things and bad about most local resorts because this seems like the appropriate place for criticism and praise, or even unfair ranting, it is an internet messageboard and not a Triple A travel brochure.

Sugar blowing during a record breaking 20 in. storm cycle was a shitty decision. Sugar's terrain when open is amazing and its high speed rocks but Northridge sucks as so much traffic bunches up there, esp. if the blacks aren't open. Gunther's Way is the best new run and among the best of all runs in the SE. Sugar should take the stick out of their.. about those of us who like to drop into the woods. This is not whining, and this is not pandering; it's just an individual take.

Beech's past lift woes have deserved criticism, the new set up may be practical but it is has locked in slow as a solution. (TOP speed of 7 min. 50, for 750' vert is not great especially as an upgrade) But Beech has my favorite vibe and community in the high country. Am I whining yet?

Cataloochee absolutely kills with snowmaking, as does App, but I like Beech and Sugars terrain more... am I whining?

I've skied all over the country and I still ski and love our small local mountains, in fact I advocate for them... do I lose the right to criticize? Is it a case of love it or leave it? Hope not because I'm afraid I'm too committed to leave.
SalisburySkier
Beginner

Well said David. Fair takes on all of the NC resorts, IMO. I think we can all agree that none of them are perfect, but damn I’m glad we at least have a few options in NC. I too am committed to living here, so I am just gonna make the best of it...and get on a west bound plane as many times as I can.
brigand
Beginner

I just have to ask...If you don't report on Sugar (for whatever reason), why is the banner picture at the top of this page a picture of the Citadel from the top of Sugar? :)

Not that it matters... its just sad I am looking at ski forums in late May.... I'm pretty sure I have a problem, watching videos of last season, when its beautiful outside and 85F.
deere25
Beginner

Another good question brigand. And also no mention on here of the greatest thing to happen for the beginner skier in the history of NC skiing. The widening of the Easy Street slope and installation of a high speed quad at Sugar for beginner skiers. Beginner and lower intermediate skiers I would dare say is 80% of any resorts business. The pettiness continues....
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

deere25 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:44 am Another good question brigand. And also no mention on here of the greatest thing to happen for the beginner skier in the history of NC skiing. The widening of the Easy Street slope and installation of a high speed quad at Sugar for beginner skiers. Beginner and lower intermediate skiers I would dare say is 80% of any resorts business. The pettiness continues....
I don't understand how it's pettiness. There has been a ton of time and effort put into this site over the years, including by myself. Literally every single ski resort in the region supports the site in some way, except Sugar. After almost 20 years or so of Mike doing this and not getting any support from them, why should we report on anything they do? Will it hurt their bottom line? No. As a business owner though, why should he want to give them free publicity when they don't want to work with us?
WOOOOOO!

brigand
Beginner

I wasn't implying pettiness or anything else, just thought it was funny. I completely understand not wanting to promote them if they don't want to work with you. You should change the banner to something from 5506 bar at Beech :)
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

brigand wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:08 am I wasn't implying pettiness or anything else, just thought it was funny. I completely understand not wanting to promote them if they don't want to work with you. You should change the banner to something from 5506 bar at Beech :)
This one works well I think. Actual board members.
WOOOOOO!