The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Timberline - the Untold Story

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

TL site says 2 trails open, Rudy's First Trax reports 13. Which is it?
SnowshoeGuy
Beginner

TL is closed Tue and Wed per their website
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

spydeeTJB wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:51 pm TL site says 2 trails open, Rudy's First Trax reports 13. Which is it?
I think a lift broke down again during the day.
WOOOOOO!

spydeeTJB
Intermediate

theKENDOG wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:42 am
spydeeTJB wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:51 pm TL site says 2 trails open, Rudy's First Trax reports 13. Which is it?
I think a lift broke down again during the day.
Which one?
SnowshoeGuy
Beginner

They have much bigger issues than lift break downs.

https://www.wboy.com/news/crime/former- ... jJiu2d0Id8
grinderstation
Beginner

Robulator wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am
But the "source" I had was a big player in the accounting field and that is the term she specifically used.
This is EXACTLY the statement I take violent exception to (davidski). Makes a bad situation much, much worse. your "innuendo" about your "source" is just plain bullshit. Give out a name or just shut up. Yes i've followed the story. Guy is sucking cash out of the resort and the utility and running it into the ground. Guess what. He wasn't the first to do that to a business. he won't be the last.

ANYTHING else you or i write is innuento and has no integrity. Sorry if it drags your home value down but guess what. there's risk in life, risk when you bought it. You, and less-so-davidski, come accross like somehow you are entitled to a well run timberline. And while were at it, Davidski, I beleive there is no other resort that even comes close to Cat for taking thier profits and reinvesting them into the mountain. virtually every slope there now is lined with those massive leesco or whatever snowmakers. NOBODY else has done that. App is their only compeition in that dept. Now, I'll spot you snowshoe, but that's intrawest capital flows. If you think you know one that has put more into the mountain, I'm all ears.
Snowbucks
Beginner

Funny...not a peep about Tline in a week...and their web site and cam are now totally abandoned?!?!? It this IT - they're GONE for good!?!?
spydeeTJB
Intermediate

Good time to buy a house! Maybe a condo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Snowbucks wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm It this IT - they're GONE for good!?!?
It's looking like this might be the case. They're closed this weekend and the mountain will be "re-evaluated" on Monday. Some other legal news has come to light this week as well and it is all bad.
WOOOOOO!

adm1n
Intermediate

Tracy Herz texted me on Saturday with a link to another story with the obligatory references to all of the financial, real legal and alleged legal issues surrounding the resort, their family etc. I don't know Mrs. Herz and I can do the same thing that a lot of people are doing and jump to conclusions based on hearsay and rumors. One person's FACTS are another person's rumors.

All I know is that a LOT of stupid stuff has happened there for MANY years now. A lot of bad mojo , actions and poor reactions to community needs and the everyday operations.

I will say that's it is easy to judge people when they are making decisions or forced to choose between two wrong ways to go because of a lack of funds. Things go ignored, unpaid and worse. There are many who will (maybe rightfully) claim that the Herz' family has brought everything on themselves. However, that is probably as unfair as it would be to say that none of what they are going through is their fault. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Mrs. Herz and the entire operation are running with their backs against the wall and when you operate that way - or are forced to operate that way due to having far more expenses than revenue - you come off aloof, mean-spirited, and perhaps downright evil.

The owners of Timberline are scrambling and yet they seem to be operating day to day with an eye on SOMETHING happening that will allow them to stay open - whether they operate another day this winter or for the future. Just as an outsider, looking in...I think those prospects are VERY SLIM.

I think it is far more likely that any and every creditor owed will call in their loans and take whatever steps needed to cut up whatever is salvageable for monies or write the place off as a loss and go from there. What the future holds for the Herz ownership is something that only they know. My guess is that they will be forced to close. Whether someone would step forward and offer to purchase and what shape or direction the place would have after that is also just a guess.

My experience tells me that the place is hemorrhaging a need for a LOT of infusion of funds that no ONE entity will be able to come forward with. Hence the place is probably destined to become a nice, residential community a few miles from Canaan Valley Resort and Whitegrass - and join the heap of LOST SKI AREAS in the region.