The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Online shopping recommendations?

A Forum for buying, selling and swapping gear. NOTICE-HEAVILY MODERATED FOR SKI/BOARDING RELATED GEAR ONLY. Spammers don't bother and no garage sale crud
David H
Beginner

Any recommendations for 3rd party on line sources for gear? Specifically, helmet and goggles.

I feel I've supported our local shop pretty well...new ski pkg for me, new ski pkg for SO and kids. I would like to find some good deals on helmet/goggles and try to save a bit of money this time. Seems like Smith is getting good reviews across the board.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

David H wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:32 am Any recommendations for 3rd party on line sources for gear? Specifically, helmet and goggles.

I feel I've supported our local shop pretty well...new ski pkg for me, new ski pkg for SO and kids. I would like to find some good deals on helmet/goggles and try to save a bit of money this time. Seems like Smith is getting good reviews across the board.
Not sure about where to get em, but Smith goggles and Bern helmets are the way to go in my opinion.
WOOOOOO!

David H
Beginner

I've research Smith goggles fairly well. Particularly the I/Os so I can probably assume the same positives. What do you like about Bern helmets?
David H
Beginner

That Heist helmet is a great looking helmet and seems pretty bomb proof. No adjustable vents...probably not a problem in central southeast though. Was extremely warm in Boone this weekend.
marzski
Advanced

David H wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:32 am Any recommendations for 3rd party on line sources for gear? Specifically, helmet and goggles.

You want selection or good prices? evogear.com and levelninesports.com are often mentioned for bargain hunters.

Note that helmets and goggles will be featured in "late season" sales sooner than you think. After Pres. Day, sales will start in the southeast. I got two helmets for BOGO at C&R Sports a few years ago. My daughter needed a new helmet and there was one that I liked as well. My old one was approaching 10 years old, so getting replacement seemed worthwhile.

You need to try out goggles with the helmet you plan to use. Not all goggle/helmet combinations work well.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
marzski
Advanced

David H wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am I've research Smith goggles fairly well. Particularly the I/Os so I can probably assume the same positives. What do you like about Bern helmets?
I've been using Smith I/OS goggles for almost 10 years. Picking which lens combination you want isn't always that easy.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
David H
Beginner

Thanks. Ya, I am planning/hoping to add an additional clear lens that is cheaper and tougher to use for summer sports and mud/grit. Hoping that the goggles will also fit a full face helmet.