The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Timberline - the Untold Story

Converse on all ski and snowboard subjects - All things skiing, snowboarding, Q&A, gear, etc.

Please attempt to keep all comments within this forum related to skiing or snowboarding related content.

Profanity and Comments STRONGLY Monitored and enforced. (Keep it Clean! G-Rated)
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

ROYMERCER wrote:Any news on the lift breakdown yesterday ? the website shows 2 trails and 1 lift for today? going up that way possibly in a few weeks.
Wow. Just wow. A lift failure on MLK. Reading that it’s a bearing issue and won’t be repaired until later this week.
WOOOOOO!

Niner National
Beginner

Its late January and they have 2 green runs open. Canaan Valley Resort has 38 open. Gross mismanagement. If someone with money and a drive to see it succeed took over that mountain it could be a special place.
ROYMERCER
Intermediate

The bunny slope lift went down this morning. 0 for 3 on running lifts now. YIKES !!
2020-2021 days skiing
CAT= 2
APP=
WOLF=
MASSANUTTEN=
TIMBERLINE=
CANAAN VALLEY=
SAPPHIRE=1
Snowbucks
Beginner

Niner National wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:08 pm ... If someone with money and a drive to see it succeed took over that mountain it could be a special place.
It really boils down to basic math! How much would you have to invest in the infrastructure (lifts, snow-making, groomers, buildings, restaurant, bar, etc. etc.) PLUS the purchase price....divided by the estimated number of skiers = price of a lift ticket to make a profit! No, I'm not paying $500/day to ski there! LOL LOL
jimmy

ROYMERCER wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:26 am Any news on the lift breakdown yesterday ? the website shows 2 trails and 1 lift for today? going up that way possibly in a few weeks.
Well they are down to zero lifts at the moment. Double bunny chair threw a sheave Monday and the ski area will be closed til? The Thunderdraft triple needs the bull wheel bearing replaced. Upper Dew Drop was/is open if you would like to hike; or you might check out Canaan Valley, 10 minutes down the road from Timberline. Open, Safe, Fun.
grinderstation
Beginner

Robulator wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:13 pm In conjunction with my post above there is one small piece of information that has not been mentioned here or abroad is the vast wealth of this family. I have a source in the national accounting industry that has paid access to financial records of all businesses. This person, whom was at one point vice president of a major bank and has no reason to fabricate any negativity whatsoever has plainly indicated that research into the Herz /Riechel family businesses , which are multiple, indicate they are "ga-zillionaires' and this persons take on the situation is that the Herz/ Riechel families use Timberline as a "Loss Leader". In other words ...a big write off.

Food for thought
Bull$hit. on you and your so-called "source."

Anybody with ANY forensic and tax accounting sense, who as followed this story; can see pretty clearly what's happening. And ya know what? I don't own it, I'm not effected directly, so it ain't none of my business.

Your "loss leader" argument is simply laughable.

thanks for stopping by.

PS. To those NOT terminally bitching about this. look at cat. they effectively went bankrupt in the late 80s. Went through a firesale with several unprofitable seasons in the early 90s putting out a bad product. Today they are, without debate, the best run ski destination south of NY state, west of the miss. and maybe on the entire east coast. By far the best quality product. It'll take time, and new owners but someday. timberline will find a chris bates. or vice-versa.
davidski
Expert

Well, if you can see so clearly... What is going on?

And ya know what? I don't own it, I'm not effected directly, so it ain't none of my business.

It is the business for those of us who love visiting the place and want it to do well, that's my tourist perspective but I've become more attached to the valley than any ski region and TL's collapse diminishes the whole valley; for the people who live there, own rental property, or have prebooked major trips it is hugely their business.

The forensic accounting angle I know nothing about and think that tangent was beside the point at best, inside info, gazillions, blah blah i agree....but their are serious problems that are sadly all too evident.

Your response is pretty fierce, what is your explanation of three lifts down? Personally I am hoping for their success for the sake of the Valley and cause ive had some of my best days skiing there, but...

BTW I like Cat, but i don't know if it is "without debate" the best run ski area south of NY,, and maybe on the entire east coast,? ... that's a pretty wild assertion. I respect the loyalty though
Robulator
Beginner

grinderstation wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:56 pm
Robulator wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:13 pm In conjunction with my post above there is one small piece of information that has not been mentioned here or abroad is the vast wealth of this family. I have a source in the national accounting industry that has paid access to financial records of all businesses. This person, whom was at one point vice president of a major bank and has no reason to fabricate any negativity whatsoever has plainly indicated that research into the Herz /Riechel family businesses , which are multiple, indicate they are "ga-zillionaires' and this persons take on the situation is that the Herz/ Riechel families use Timberline as a "Loss Leader". In other words ...a big write off.

Food for thought
Bull$hit. on you and your so-called "source."

Anybody with ANY forensic and tax accounting sense, who as followed this story; can see pretty clearly what's happening. And ya know what? I don't own it, I'm not effected directly, so it ain't none of my business.

Your "loss leader" argument is simply laughable.

thanks for stopping by.

PS. To those NOT terminally bitching about this. look at cat. they effectively went bankrupt in the late 80s. Went through a firesale with several unprofitable seasons in the early 90s putting out a bad product. Today they are, without debate, the best run ski destination south of NY state, west of the miss. and maybe on the entire east coast. By far the best quality product. It'll take time, and new owners but someday. timberline will find a chris bates. or vice-versa.

"Bull$hit. on you and your so-called "source."

Anybody with ANY forensic and tax accounting sense, who as followed this story; can see pretty clearly what's happening. And ya know what? I don't own it, I'm not effected directly, so it ain't none of my business."

I ended my post with the statement "Food for thought". Obviously you don't have the slightest clue about this "resort" , it's history, the devastating effect it has had on the local economy, or the unscrupulous management of money for this or the other family businesses. There is hard evidence of felonious accounting practices related their operation which contradicts your blind ignorance. Do some research before you troll.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

Robulator wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:45 am I ended my post with the statement "Food for thought". Obviously you don't have the slightest clue about this "resort" , it's history, the devastating effect it has had on the local economy, or the unscrupulous management of money for this or the other family businesses. There is hard evidence of felonious accounting practices related their operation which contradicts your blind ignorance. Do some research before you troll.
I don't think he was arguing about the effect it's had on the local community or their unscrupulous business practices. I'm pretty sure he was disagreeing with your statement about it being a "loss leader".
WOOOOOO!

Robulator
Beginner

theKENDOG wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 am
Robulator wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:45 am I ended my post with the statement "Food for thought". Obviously you don't have the slightest clue about this "resort" , it's history, the devastating effect it has had on the local economy, or the unscrupulous management of money for this or the other family businesses. There is hard evidence of felonious accounting practices related their operation which contradicts your blind ignorance. Do some research before you troll.
I don't think he was arguing about the effect it's had on the local community or their unscrupulous business practices. I'm pretty sure he was disagreeing with your statement about it being a "loss leader".
I get it. Loss leader is a term that is used more frequently in another context. But the "source" I had was a big player in the accounting field and that is the term she specifically used. They give away ski packages to groups and don't check for tickets in the lift lines so I believe in a sense she was not wrong.