The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Beech and Sugar Dec 9, 10 2018

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
davidski
Expert

It has been a little bit since I tried a trip report but I'd be remiss not to after what was the deepest single day in NC for a while

Preamble, I wasn't even going to go I was headed elsewhere out west, but I relish storms around here.
I got to Beech at about Noon, the storm was still 12 hours away as it turned out

I experienced the new conveyer system, which is intended as a way to make it easier to load and then to increase the speed of a fixed lift since their is already movement on the load in.

One of the high lifts at Alta uses this effectively, and folks have gotten used to it at Massanutten. In the Southeast how effective this is compared to the high load speed out west I really don't know. I have been on this site for a little while and I wish I had done recordings of lift speeds over the years. Sugars detachable quad in the same neighborhood is fast and reliable and I wish that Beech would have done a similar full upgrade, but oh well there it is.

Anyway I saw and skied with Mademoiselle la Skipink, and that is always a good day

I left beech and that night skied at Sugar with Kendog and KillGlobalWarming
Gunther will not stop guns EVER

---
Next day, just what we want to see

and now my pictures get random, it was fresh powder but the blowers still never stopped, visibility was a mess but we were on Gunther's Way around rope drop. Tom aka Carvebeast (he's pretty good) also drove up for a day, and I met JT3 as well, it's great to meet people from the messageboard, it seems active again.

It was a good beginning
davidski
Expert

actually, im going to follow up on my own report, i'm glad i was there, i enjoyed the company, but Sugar really screwed it up.

an epic snowstorm which limits visibility and they couldn't relent their snow making for a day?

truth is it destroyed the experience --epic storms? head to WV, they won't screw it up
jt3
Intermediate

Spot on DavidSki....I know we have to deal with the quirkiness of being in NC to ski and board, but between the lift issues at Beech and Sugar's many issues (Northridge to Switchback clog and guns always on are at the top of my list), it might make more driving worthwhile!

Good to meet you.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

killglobalwarmingnow wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:11 pm I agree with this completely, I have a generous amount of buyers remorse, though the GW turns were sweet. And not to mention whatever was coming out of those guns was not snow... the settings were not right, or the air was too saturated and the temps too marginal... I was covered in ice.

I won't chase powder to Sugar in the early season again. Cat was surely the right choice with this storm... but hindsight and all that. I did not see the big man himself, not Santa of course... so I wonder if that had anything to do with the excessive blowing in 2 feet of snow... seriously, the heavens send a bountiful gift and you ruin it.

I guess you just can't beat a blue bird powder day.
WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE FIREBALL SHOTS ON THE LIFT.
WOOOOOO!

skipink
Expert

I don’t know how I missed this earlier. I always have fun skiing with David!
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."