The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Cataloochee Opening Day 11-21-16

This is the spot to post your trail and trip reports. Please notify [email protected] when you do so that we can feature the better ones on the front of the website.
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

I haven't made an opening day in several years but I did so today. Mike and I were at Cat for the festivities and it felt good to do an opening day again. I was surprised at how much snow they had made. I think this happens every year at the start of the season. It was a combo of 70 degree temps here in Huntersville on Friday and the fact that I forgot just how good snowmaking is nowadays. It's pretty crazy to see what they can do in 36 hours.

Admittedly, I don't go to Cat very often. So when I arrived and saw snowmaking to 3/4 station and heard they had 5 trails open, I assumed they were open to the 3/4 station. I mentioned this on the live broadcast. Woops. I was wrong. Halfway station was what they were offering. Still fun and better than being at a desk all day, but I won't lie I was a little bummed. Either way, it felt great to get back on the snow. I'm leaving for Cali tomorrow for a week so I was happy to get in a day before I leave. Already looking forward to Beech next weekend.

Mr. Doble himself

All of the images are here...

http://www.skisoutheast.com/cataloochee ... o-gallery/

I wouldn't be surprised to see them open to 3/4 station tomorrow based on snowmaking I saw today. The season is a go...wooo!
WOOOOOO!

skiing rules
Expert

Only in NC would that amount of terrain pass as 5 runs. Sugar apparently opened too!
swamphox
Expert

Looks like fun. I was off yesterday and thought abt heading up but decided against. Kinda wish I hit day 1 for them too
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3
Aasnider
Beginner

Kendog- It was very difficult to be at work on Monday knowing that the slopes were open. You guys definately added salt to the wound with the live broadcast and constant stream of pics on Instagram! But on a serious note the live broadcast was awesome, keep them coming! Can't wait to get out there!