The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
Aasnider
Beginner

Hello,
My name is Aaron and I live in McLeansville, NC (just outside of Greensboro) along with my wife and 18 month old daughter. We have family that live up in the Newland area so I make it to the slopes 5 to 10 days a year. I snowboard. I have followed ski southeast for years but finally decided to check out the message board and see what it's all about. I usually ride Sugar or Beech. My wife does not ski or snowboard so I usually hit the slopes solo, but would love to get to know some fellow skiers/ riders and meet some of you out on the slopes.
-Hoping for an early and long season, Aaron
Castiel
Beginner

Welcome to the Message board and hopefully we will get that early and long season.
17/18 Skiing Days: Beech 1, Cat 1, Wolf 1, App 1
Aasnider
Beginner

Yeah me too! We have a trip planned to go up and visit family the weekend before Halloween. I've been on the slopes one time in October before and am hoping for a repeat!
Castiel
Beginner

Yeah that would be nice I took Halloween as my first snow wager this year but would love to see us luck up and get it the week before.
17/18 Skiing Days: Beech 1, Cat 1, Wolf 1, App 1
Aasnider
Beginner

Haha I just saw that thread and was optimistic about our trip so a wagered in that Saturday before (the 29th). So if we can get some cold temps, worthy of blowing, at the end of that week and a little fresh snow that Friday night/ early Saturday morning it would be an epic start to the season for me to be there on day 1. Have to be optimistic right?
davidski
Expert

Hey, welcome to the board --and I hope you are getting some rest with an 18 month old on hand. Another year and you can put her on skis.

Glad you joined in, I hope more people will this year.
Aasnider
Beginner

I'm not sure how we got so lucky but she sleeps through the night. My wife is pregnant again so hopefully we get lucky with #2. I can't wait until next year because I am planning on trying her on skis or a snowboard. Anyone have experience with starting a young child? I was thinking snowboard would be easier because I could more or less hold her in front of me too keep her from falling. I do not and have never skied so I don't even know what to teach her! She's pretty adventurous and fearless so hopefully she does not outgrow that in the meantime.
L Bear
Beginner

I've got a 2YO turning 3 this winter. I'm getting him on a board this season, primarily because I board. (I don't hate on skis. I envy the practicality). The best advice I've heard so far is to start out riding switch while holding their hands for really slow speeds. One they get a little comfortable, move to one of those backpack / bungee cords system. That allows them to learn control at a preset, safe distance in front of you. I've heard some compelling stories of parents teaching kids by holding them close, catching and edge, and nasty injuries ensuing. But of course, the best way to teach them is to sign them up for little tike lessons.
Aasnider
Beginner

I definately need to do my homework before I do anything. Let me know how everything goes for you and your son. I'll take any advice you come up with. It may be better in the long run just to sign up for the lessons. I just want to make sure she enjoys it and has a good time. As long as we can keep it fun for her she will want to keep going. I'm afraid that a bad experience/ injury would put the brakes on for her.
skipink
Expert

Welcome. There are quite a few of us on the board that ride regularly at Beech. If we are not on the slopes you can find us at 5506 or in the brewery.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."