The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Newbie looking for info

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
vinobambinos

Hello,

My wife and I are just getting into skiing, however my wife has had an injury to her ankle and foot (several years ago), when we first tried skiing in rental gear, she experienced a lot of pain to the point that her foot went numb in only a few minutes.

I am interested in finding a really good boot fitter in the Southeast that has experience working with people with foot injuries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vino
marzski
Advanced

vinobambinos wrote:Hello,

My wife and I are just getting into skiing, however my wife has had an injury to her ankle and foot (several years ago), when we first tried skiing in rental gear, she experienced a lot of pain to the point that her foot went numb in only a few minutes.

I am interested in finding a really good boot fitter in the Southeast that has experience working with people with foot injuries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vino
Would help to know where in the southeast you live, or where you intend to ski more often. The boot fitters I'm aware of are in NC or SC, but may still be one in Atlanta.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Rental boots are hit and miss.....could have been as simple as her closing them wrong. A well fitting boot makes or breaks the day. Have her try on a new pair in store and wear them a few mins or twenty.... see if she has same problem. I hyperflexed my ankle sideways snapping bone in 2 places...I had to find boots that fit my new larger ankle after that healed.

Alpine is always a great place to try.
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
vinobambinos

We live in Birmingham, don't mind driving to the Carolinas if I can find a good fitter.

We plan to ski out West and in Europe if she is able to get a good fit and doesn't have issues with the foot/ankle.
marzski
Advanced

Another possibility is Peter Glenn and Rocky Mountain Ski and Board in Atlanta. Read about them on another ski forum. Mentioned Joel or Keith at RMSB in particular.

I bought my first 4-buckle boots at Ski Country in Banner Elk during SugarFest during mid-December pre-season sales. Went back for a couple tweaks for a hot spot, but ultimately that wasn't fixed until I paid $25 to get it blown out using heat during a trip to Alta. Ski Country also has a shop in Asheville.

One of the most experienced boot fitters in the southeast is Mike in Columbia, SC.
http://www.southernski.com

You could call and talk to these boot fitters and see what they suggest.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.
SKISC
Expert

For foot and ankle issues I would not rule out rear entry boots. Not the most attractive but can help with some issues.
swamphox
Expert

Peter glenn in atl has a bootfitter and theyll work on stuff that was purchased elsewhere.
Live slow, die whenever.....

Days on Snow 22-23
Cat 5
app 1
sugar 1
ober 1
winterplace 2
Homewood 3