The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

New member!

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
Winston_3Pin
Beginner

Hey,

New member been on the slopes for since 94', first as a skier for maybe two years, just long enough to learn. Then quickly to snowboarding which I've been doing since. Moved from Michigan in 2006. An have recently been getting interested in back-country cross-country/telemark style skiing and just bought a new setup, hoping to use it maybe this weekend.

New gear:

L.L. Bean Boreal skis, 130 length with fish-scale wax less base!

Voile HD Mountaineer 3-Pin Telemark Binding

and some rossignal BC-x5 boots

Looking for advice on a descent place that can mount the bindings properly, might just end up going to ski country sports in asheville since i will be out there this weekend looking for some trails to hit up!

Thanks!
Freeheel Tarheel
Intermediate

^^^ i will be quite surprised if ski country sports can help you out. last year when i broke a rivet on my tele boots they would not even take a look at the boot to see if they could help me. super weaksauce.

you might be able to find a 3 pin jig somewhere in the boone area.

if nothing else, you should be able to download a template though. if you can find a jig with a center hole, you may be able to use that to drill the top hole then use a template over that and get good results.

have fun!
Winston_3Pin
Beginner

Although I am pretty handy around the house, i just wouldn't feel comfortable taking the risk of ruining new skis.

I would be willing to take them pretty much anywhere that is convenient, and wouldn't charge and arm and a leg being it's not a downhill setup.
Freeheel Tarheel
Intermediate

like i said, maybe someone in the boone/banner elk area can help you but i know of no shop in asheville that carries nordic skis.

there is a group in boone called the high country nordic association. you might hit up their facebook page and see if anyone can point you in the right direction. as a last resort you might trek up to whitegrass in w. va for the mount? good luck.
Winston_3Pin
Beginner

Thanks for the info, they where quick to respond and recommended black dome.
Freeheel Tarheel
Intermediate

i have skied with those guys the season before last at the wolf and at that point they did not have any skis at black dome. but said they were considering it. i very well could be wrong. let me know if they help you out.
skipink
Expert

Welcome. We are also in WS. I don't CC or tele but know lots of folks in the High country Nordic group. They are great resources. We have passes at Beech so we are there a lot.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
Tmiller72
Expert

If you're on Facebook, check out the High Country Nordic Association. Very helpful group.
2019-20

Beech: 10
Snowshoe: 3
Alta: 2
Brighton: 1
Solitude: 1
Jackson Hole: 2
Winston_3Pin
Beginner

Thanks for that info. I am not on Facebook, but my wife is and she connected to the High country Nordic Association where they recommended Black Dome. Unfortunately we were in Asheville on a Saturday and the binding mounting guy wasn't working on the weekends so were still searching for a place to get them mounted. I have not heard of a reputable place in our area (Winston Salem/Greensboro) so... just waiting
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

welcome aboard
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"