The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
SalisburySkier
Beginner

Hey guys,

I have been reading this message board for a few years now, and I finally decided that is was time to join. I am the dreaded 30 years old, (dont worry young guys and gals, it is not that bad) but I like to think that I can get along with anyone.

My uncle introduced me to skiing when I was 12 and I have been hooked ever since. I thought about trying to board but it just hasn't happened. I taught my future wife when we were 17 (thats right, high school sweethearts) and I cant wait to introduce our daughter to the sport we love.

We have been to App, Hawksnest (miss that place), Sugar, Beech, Winterplace, Wintergreen (nice six packs there), Snowshoe/Silver Creek, Timberline, Canaan Valley, Solitude, Alta, and Snowbird. We have only been out west once, but can't wait to get back (Utah is GREAT). We usually make a few trips to Sugar, Beech or Winterplace each year, but not as many as we would like to, and we are hoping to make it to Utah again this year. If not Utah, a trip CV West Virginia may be in the cards, just to change up the norm.

No hiking for turns, or back country yet but I would love to give it a try. Not sure about the Mrs. though. She is a great skier but not quite as adventurous.

So anyway, glad to be here. Hope to share some turns with you guys sometime!

SalisburySkier Salisbury, NC
davidski
Expert

@SalisburySkier 284375 wrote:t I like to think that I can get along with anyone.

Me too!!

Welcome, there's been a lot of interest lately in T-line and Canaan, maybe a group will get up there around the same time.

Do you have any flexibility for storm chasing? As far as planning in advance when dates are announced you should set aside the weekend for the Snowshoe summit it's a lot of fun and SkiSE makes it a really affordable trip
skipink
Expert

Welcome! the more people you meet, the friends you have to ski with. We are at Beech a lot w/ season passes so just let me know when you will be there.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
Tman
Beginner

What's the story behind salisbury? Kinda making me hungry. :D Welcome!
mommehK
Expert

Welcome aboard -- you'll have to come out to CO to make turns with me, but that's okay. :) Dreaded 30?? LOL I'm about to hit the dreaded 40 this year, and just started boarding this season (with no prior ski years).
SalisburySkier
Beginner

Thanks for the welcome guys.

mommehK, CO is on the bucket list for sure. I may have to stick with the skis though.

Tman, Live in Salisbury. It is between Charlotte and Greensboro on I-85. Great place but too far from the slopes.

skipink, it has actually been awhile since I have been to Beech, but I have been impressed with the trip reports from there recently. Used to get the value pass while I was in Boone. $200 bucks for a pass that was good Sun-Thurs. Man those were the days.

davidski, CV is a great place. I have actually only been once but was more impressed with Timberline than Snowshoe. A bluebird day with temps around 30 degrees will really help your impression of a place though. Hopefully a summit is in the near future. It is hard to storm chase with a 9-5 and a toddler but I can usually sneak away with a sick day, LOL. I don't think I can make it past Winterplace for a quick day trip though.

Thanks guys.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Home of Cheerwine and FoodLion

Welcome
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
SalisburySkier
Beginner

Yep, you got it. Lived in Wilson for a few years right after college. I see you are in Zebulon. I do not miss that drvie from Wilson to Boone. I could just about do it with a blindfold though.
2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

Yeah i do right now. I run back and forth every week to Denver NC where I am building a Spec house right now, so i feel that ride your talkin
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
skipink
Expert

Wilson is where they took Bultaco when he broke his leg motorcycle racing. They wanted to do surgery there.

I said not in my lifetime.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."