The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Hello - Looking for advice for next Christmas break

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
tyrell
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm from South Carolina. I had planned to bring my boys up to North Carolina to ski/ride this past winter, but had to cancel because of the ice storm. They were heartbroken that we couldn't go (one of them has been once to App, the other has never been). So,I told them I'd take them next year during their Christmas break.

However, some of the extended family now wants to go as well, and they've asked me to set it up for everyone. So, it's gone from the three of us, where we would be fairly flexible and able to pick a few days when the weather looked good, to at least 11 people of mixed abilities (3 total newbies, a few advanced skiers, and the rest are beginner-intermediate). Everyone comes here for Christmas, so now the trip has to be planned far enough in advance that people can plan their work vacation and plane tickets accordingly, and it will have to be during the break, most likely the week following Christmas. It also means we probably need a cabin (preferably slopeside).

My only experience skiing in WV was at Snowshoe 20 years ago. Since then, my southeast experience has mostly been to take off a day or so mid-week and drive up to Sugar or Beech with a couple friends when the weather looks good for it.

So, the main considerations are going to be crowding, learning areas for the newbies, and lodging. I was thinking about going up to Canaan, and maybe driving over to Timberline or Wisp if we feel the need for variety (I haven't been to any of those, but they look nice). I loved Snowshoe 20 years ago, but it looks like it has changed a lot and may get crowded during the Christmas break. I love Beech and Sugar, but it seems to me those would both be jam packed during the break as well.

Any suggestions? This has sort of gone from a fun idea to a ton of pressure to plan it right for everyone.

Thanks!
I want more life...
SnowshoeGuy
Beginner

I like your Canaan / Timberline / Wisp idea. Check vrbo.com - there are some nice homes for rent right next to the slopes.

Snowshoe ...... WILL make a strong effort to have the MOST slopes open compared to all other resorts but it will be CROWDED and very EXPENSIVE over Christmas week.
skipink
Expert

Every place will be crowded. Plan on skiing early and quitting early.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
tyrell
Beginner

Is the week before Christmas significantly less crowded than the week after? Would it be worth pushing people to go early? Not sure if I'd be able to convince people to do it either way...
I want more life...
tyrell
Beginner

@killglobalwarmingnow 298862 wrote:Is everyone aware that there is a good chance of rain? First things first, ground expectations in reality.

Also, are you saying people are flying in and then driving from SC to WV? If that's the case it's time to look West.

I did suggest that those of us in sc fly to Slc or Denver the week of Christmas instead of everyone coming here, but that didn't go over well.

As far as expectations, only three of the people going have ever skied in the southeast. Everyone else that has skied has only been out west.

So yeah, I think people's expectations are pretty out of sync with reality.
I want more life...
skipink
Expert

Send everyone involved a detailed note why it would be better to go out west and keep a copy to show them when they get all pissy. Lol.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
tyrell
Beginner

@skipink 298873 wrote:Send everyone involved a detailed note why it would be better to go out west and keep a copy to show them when they get all pissy. Lol.

I like it!
I want more life...
SKISC
Expert

If T Line and Canaan have snow then go there if you like that area. Those are my favorite in WV. While there the day trip up to Wisp is very much worth it, however Wisp will be more crowded than the other two. If you get bored then take a day trip to the Shoe and Silvercreek. If really want to go somewhere different, spend the first night in Morgantown, WV and ski the next day at Seven Springs, PA. Once you get up the lifts there try and in the back to avoid the bigger crowds.

Yes, going out west is fun and just as cheap as a NE/MidAtlantic trip until you start adding up how many plane tickets you will need. You can put together a great trip on this coast. Late last February I headed out alone and drove to Greek Peak, NY and skied the next day. Packed up and drove to Ellicottvile, NY and skied Holiday Valley (awesome place, will definitely go back). Skied three days there and then headed down to Wisp for a morning of skiing. At lunch I headed down Canaan and finished the day off. Next day found me at Timberline and that afternoon I drove to Silvercreek to meet the rest of my race team for our season finals. Skied Snowshow that Friday and then raced Silvercreek on Saturday. Left for home at 0600 Sunday morning. One of the best 10 day trips I have ever had.
Snowbucks
Beginner

@skipink 298873 wrote:Send everyone involved a detailed note why it would be better to go out west and keep a copy to show them when they get all pissy. Lol.

Yes. If history is a teacher...Snowshoe may be open, WILL BE PACKED, usually will have 1 top-to-bottom trail. You won't know til a week before.
marzski
Advanced

@tyrell 298861 wrote:Is the week before Christmas significantly less crowded than the week after? Would it be worth pushing people to go early? Not sure if I'd be able to convince people to do it either way...

SInce you are considering driving as far as Wisp, considering Massanutten. It's a good place for a mixed ability group. More vertical than almost every ski area in PA. Definitely more upscale than Tline/CV from what I've heard. I've been at Mnut the week before Christmas every winter since 2004. Only got completely skunked once, meaning the ski hill was not open at all. They have added more snowmaking capability in recent years, so as long as it's cold enough by mid-Dec, there are likely to be enough slopes open for some fun. Plenty of non-skiing activities, including the indoor water park and ice skating.

Everything is lit at Mnut. That means it's possible to ski without a 20+ min wait on a lift line 9:00-11:30 and 4:00-closing. Those who are advanced intermediate and above can ski off Lift 6 without a lift line all the time. At least, that's been my experience on holiday weekends so I imagine it's about the same during Christmas holidays.
2023-24: Wolf Creek in Dec, Massanutten in Jan, Feb; GT, Big Sky; Crested Butte; Alta/Snowbird in April.