The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Howdy - Super Newb

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
mommehK
Expert

Hey all -- never skied/boarded a day in my old life. Moving to Asheville next month and the bug to start is already biting me.

Hubs is in a wheelchair and we need to figure out what's out there to help accommodate him so he can run circles around me too.

Will be lurking/learning a lot while I'm here. Thanks for having what seems to be a very awesome forum here!

mK
jamsandwich
Expert

Welcome to the neighborhood

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

Welcome! I dont know much about them, but I have seen alot of people on (I think they are called a (Bi-Ski)??? [SIZE=-1] Its like a single ski with a bucket seat and you use two outrigger type poles with skis on the end of them to turn. I have see dudes tear it up w/ those things. I have always thought it would be cool to try one out.

I'm sure someone around knows a bit more about em.

[/SIZE]
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
mommehK
Expert

@Dracan6 254220 wrote:Welcome! I dont know much about them, but I have seen alot of people on (I think they are called a (Bi-Ski)??? [SIZE=-1] Its like a single ski with a bucket seat and you use two outrigger type poles with skis on the end of them to turn. I have see dudes tear it up w/ those things. I have always thought it would be cool to try one out.

I'm sure someone around knows a bit more about em.

[/SIZE]

Thanks -- what we've seen is actually called a monoski, but just like you described. I think it's awesome and would love to be able to get him on one...once his health decides to cooperate.
yardsale
Expert

I KNOW THERE ARE A FEW MEMBERS OF THE CAT SKI PATROL ON HERE, NOT SURE WHAT THEY KNOW ABOUT THE ADAPTIVE SKI PROGRAM OVER THERE BUT I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT LOOKED LIKE A GREAT WAY TO GET ON THE SLOPES
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
Dracan6
Expert
Tagline: Ready, set, see ya'!

And a note on that... There must be some people around Cat that know about this sort of thing. Because, that's where I normally see these dudes kicking it! :>)
17-18 Just a wk at Breck. "Got Oxegen?" Is real!
mommehK
Expert

Hopefully they will chime in -- there's a little blurb about it on the skiNC site about Cat's adaptive ski program...stoked!! :D
scuba skier
Intermediate

There is contact information on the website. That's all I know about it.
The Boss
Beginner

Cat does have an adaptive skier program on site,you need to call ahead to arrange an instructor.Not to take away from cataloochee's program but in March,at least it was then last year,Beech mountain has a big 3 day adaptive skier gig where instructors from all over the U.S. (and Cat's also) come for instruction for all levels. This is a great 3 days and I'm sure you all will really enjoy the time.I will most likely be there again.I was a blocker last year when I was there and really enjoyed it. I have a long time skiing buddy who lost her leg 2 years ago in a motorcycle accident and they had her back on skis in top form after two days. Get hold of Cat's instructor for the latest lowdown and bring hubby by for some lessons to see if it's something he would be interested in. Patrol has their Refresher prior the the season startup in a couple of weeks and I will inquire about the adaptive progrram more for you. Cat has top notch instructors and we would love to have you come by and check us out.
mommehK
Expert

Fraking AWESOME Boss!!! :>) I did see something after I posted about a multi-day program somewhere, but didn't realize it was at Beech. That sounds like just an amazing time to be had. You better know that we'll be there if there's any way I can get him in good enough physical health to tolerate it.