The End of an Era...We are Shutting Down the Messageboard

The messageboard is now in read-only mode and no new posts or topics can be created. We will leave the messageboard up for historical purposes, but you will not be able to make new posts or comment on existing ones.

We have started a Discord server and hope that you all will join us on there. Technology has changed over the years and maintaining the messageboard has become somewhat of a pain in the butt and Discord offers many features for users, the main one being a very polished mobile app.

We really hope you all will join us on Discord and think you will like the platform. Use the invite link below to join.

https://discord.gg/skisoutheast

Hello there!

Introduce yourself to the masses and join in on the fun!
thefirewarde
Beginner

Hello! I've lurked here a little, figured I might as well join. I'm a high schooler, and as such don't have much money to spend on equipment. So, I hunt at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I've ended up with a pair of Head Cyber 241x1's, a pair of K2 Three78's, both with Salomon 800s bindings, and a pair of Rossignol STS Carbons as junk skis. For boots I have a pair of SX61's, and a pair of SX 81's. I learned to ski at Hawksnest and Wolf Ridge, and I've gotten at least one ski trip each year for the past five years. I ended up with 4 days of alpine skiing last year, (plus one day nordic at Whitegrass), at Sugar, Canaan, and Wintergreen.

I also ski around my neighborhood in Central NC, and I've built myself a little hill in my backyard. That's the reason I bought and hang on to so much older equipment, so friends can use it when they come over. I make my own snow, and I had snow on the ground for 40 consecutive days last year. (though it wasn't always skiable-you really want a power groomer after it rains and freezes!)

That's three years old now, the slope is now a glade run through the woods, with a 4-foot tall wooden drop in at the top for a total of 7 vertical feet. I just don't have pictures of it on Photobucket yet.

This year, I've started a high school ski team/club, and I'm also organizing a Boy Scout trip out to Cat for Saturday, Dec. 3 for their early season special. I'm looking forward to more downhill time this year!

Also, thanks to everyone posting trip reports, reviews, etc. here... it makes the warmer months almost bearable! This is a wonderful forum y'all have here!
davidski
Expert

And that is a great first post -- welcome

So you did some nordic at Whitegrass, very cool; my wife and I are going to try that the first weekend with real snowfall.
yardsale
Expert

I LIKE YOUR SNOW
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
skipink
Expert

Welcome. Glad to see some new young people my age around here.
"Nothing changes if nothing changes."
theKENDOG
Expert
Tagline: WOOO!!!

@skipink 253303 wrote:Welcome. Glad to see some new young people my age around here.

Bahaha.

Welcome to the board dude.
WOOOOOO!

2slikstix
Expert
Tagline: Tree Whore

welcome>>>>>.......

And watch out for the flying sarcasm
"You mean there is Two of them??"
"it's about 10 very heavy inches. I can drive it but it sure will be slow"
Tman
Beginner

Welcome! Awesome you get to make your own snow, but your utility bill must be up the wazoo.
thefirewarde
Beginner

It's not that bad. In 12 hours snowmaking, I might use 1800 gallons of water and 21 kWh, and then the hill's open for at least a week.

As far as flying sarcasm goes, I know how to duck. :D
RMacSki
Advanced

That's awesome, but is that the slope right there?
2014-2015 Days On: Like a billion already.
Bronco
Expert

^GTFO spammer!!